CPU Fan Error

Grays0n
Go to solution Solved by kb5zue,

Just downloaded the manual for your board from Asus and I can see that it only has two fan headers.  One for the CPU and one for the Chassis.  I see one header up at the top of the board but I can't find the other one.  So, I am assuming the header at the top of the board is for the cpu so I am also assuming that is where you plugged in your cpu fan.

Alright, I’ve been getting this error after I installed my new CPU. I never have gotten this error and it’s the same CPU cooler.

I don’t have the exact cooler model but it’s by Zalman.

I’ve tried re-applying thermal paste, and turning off the fan limiter (something along those lines) in the bios, but after I did that my system shut down and did not start up again. I then unplugged everything and tightened the CPU Cooler more and I’m still getting this error.

What did I do, and what should I do?

Thanks guys.

1 minute ago, kb5zue said:

What are you using for thermal paste?

I had some extra from Cooler Master. It came with their cooler. 

I installed that cooler onto a different computer though.

Don't know what to say but for some reason my gut tells me that your cpu is still overheating.  Something tells me the Zalman cooler isn't enough.  Since it won't boot, you can't check the temps with HWMonitor or CPU-Z.  The thermal paste that I use is Arctic Silver and I am using an Arctic 7 (I think) cooler.  You didn't mention what CPU you are using.

Since it is shutting down just seconds after booting, then you can't get into the BIOS to check anything there either, such a quick shut down after booting and it's a total shut down, that is what leads me to think about the CPU overheat.

Just now, kb5zue said:

Don't know what to say but for some reason my gut tells me that your cpu is still overheating.  Something tells me the Zalman cooler isn't enough.  Since it won't boot, you can't check the temps with HWMonitor or CPU-Z.  The thermal paste that I use is Arctic Silver and I am using an Arctic 7 (I think) cooler.  You didn't mention what CPU you are using.

Since it is shutting down just seconds after booting, then you can't get into the BIOS to check anything there either, such a quick shut down after booting and it's a total shut down, that is what leads me to think about the CPU overheat.

I’m sorry, I didn’t clarrify.

I fixed the shutting down situation by tightening tha CPU Cooler.

I was using an i5 6500, and I now have an i7 7700k, just for reference.

Again, apologies about not being clear. That’s annoying.

Just now, kb5zue said:

No problem, glad you got the problem fixed.

I’m still having the problem with the BIOS “CPU FAN ERROR” appearing.

I have watched my temps via CoreTemp (dont know how reliable that is) and I peaked high 50s and low 60s.

Right after that though, my computer just completely shut off, as I was testing temps by launching Overwatch.

Check to make sure the cpu fan is plugged in to the correct fan header on the mobo.  You didn't say what mobo you are using, but if it is anything like the one that I have, it will have multiple fan headers.  If you plug the cpu fan in to a fan header that is NOT the cpu fan header, the fan will still run but the system will not recognize it as the cpu fan.  It must be plugged in to the cpu fan header for the system to recognize it.

1 minute ago, kb5zue said:

Check to make sure the cpu fan is plugged in to the correct fan header on the mobo.  You didn't say what mobo you are using, but if it is anything like the one that I have, it will have multiple fan headers.  If you plug the cpu fan in to a fan header that is NOT the cpu fan header, the fan will still run but the system will not recognize it as the cpu fan.  It must be plugged in to the cpu fan header for the system to recognize it.

I plugged it into the same header that it was previously plugged into when I had my i5 6500.

Just now, kb5zue said:

I'm running out of ideas, what mobo is it?

Me too lmao.

ASUS H110M-A

Just downloaded the manual for your board from Asus and I can see that it only has two fan headers.  One for the CPU and one for the Chassis.  I see one header up at the top of the board but I can't find the other one.  So, I am assuming the header at the top of the board is for the cpu so I am also assuming that is where you plugged in your cpu fan.

1 hour ago, kb5zue said:

you are correct

EDIT:

I am on my computer right now, here are my current temps.

DyFJUvDtRnCoWYGRaQbrkA.png

This picture was taken right after playing a game of Overwatch.

Also, I still get the BIOS message, I just set the "ignore" option again.

I'll definitely buy a new cooler tomorrow and see if that fixes anything.

If it doesn't, guess I'm getting new motherboard (I really need an excuse anyways).

Thanks for your help though, it's really appreciated.

Glad to help.  If you are in the market for a new mobo, try to get something that has more than just the two fan headers if possible.  Personally, I prefer Asus boards.

Just now, kb5zue said:

Let us know how the new equipment works out.

Will do!

I have an update! Woo!

Apparently I plugged it in incorrectly. I have no idea how exactly. When I do get my PC back I’ll definitely see the difference in how I had it sorted.