Mini ITX Build (Ryzen vs Coffee Lake)

Hi all

I'm doing a build in the Phanteks Evolv Shift - Which requires a Mini ITX motherboard

Currently, I have a Ryzen 5 1600X - I can get this motherboard for about $365 https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/product/QKJkcf/asus-rog-strix-x370-i-gaming-mini-itx-am4-motherboard-rog-strix-x370-i-gaming
Alternatively, I could get a Coffee Lake chip (Either the i3 8350K or the 8600K - $300 and $435 respectively) and this motherboard for about $385 https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/product/VRjWGX/asus-rog-strix-z370-i-gaming-mini-itx-lga1151-motherboard-strix-z370-i-gaming

What are your thoughts on the value of each option? At the moment the only upgradeability on the AM4 is to the 1800X which isn't a huge improvement for gaming and light photoshop. Is the intel path with a large lineup of chips worht the upgrade for someone trying to get all the bang for the smallest amount of buck?

Cheers

I'd stick with AM4.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I'd stick with AM4.

Is there any specific reason for that? Like is it blindingly obvious and I just don't know? :P

Thanks though :)

I'm unsure if the Asus Strix x370 ($372)  is worth the extra $180 over the Gigabyte AB350N ($194)

Personally, I'm running the 1600x so I can comfortably say that I enjoy it.

In addition, since you already have the CPU, you wouldn't need to buy a new CPU to match the motherboard. I'd say to stay with AM4 just so you wouldn't have to spend the money buying a new CPU.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

2 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

I'm unsure if the Asus Strix x370 ($372)  is worth the extra $180 over the Gigabyte AB350N ($194)

Personally, I'm running the 1600x so I can comfortably say that I enjoy it.

In addition, since you already have the CPU, you wouldn't need to buy a new CPU to match the motherboard. I'd say to stay with AM4 just so you wouldn't have to spend the money buying a new CPU.

In all honesty I just picked it because it looked better :P

Is the 1600X a reasonable match for a 1080ti? (I'm looking to use a water-cooled 1080ti in the same build)

4 hours ago, Sydlexic Deity said:

Hi all

I'm doing a build in the Phanteks Evolv Shift - Which requires a Mini ITX motherboard

Currently, I have a Ryzen 5 1600X - I can get this motherboard for about $365 https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/product/QKJkcf/asus-rog-strix-x370-i-gaming-mini-itx-am4-motherboard-rog-strix-x370-i-gaming
Alternatively, I could get a Coffee Lake chip (Either the i3 8350K or the 8600K - $300 and $435 respectively) and this motherboard for about $385 https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/product/VRjWGX/asus-rog-strix-z370-i-gaming-mini-itx-lga1151-motherboard-strix-z370-i-gaming

What are your thoughts on the value of each option? At the moment the only upgradeability on the AM4 is to the 1800X which isn't a huge improvement for gaming and light photoshop. Is the intel path with a large lineup of chips worht the upgrade for someone trying to get all the bang for the smallest amount of buck?

Cheers

The i3-8350K is generally not worth the cost.

In most, but not all games the i5-8600K does better than the R5-1600X.

I have no idea what pricing is like in NZ, but did you consider the i7-8700?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

19 hours ago, sJuan said:

Would a 1080ti even fit in that case?

Only just - not much airflow hence the water cooled option

19 hours ago, brob said:

The i3-8350K is generally not worth the cost.

In most, but not all games the i5-8600K does better than the R5-1600X.

I have no idea what pricing is like in NZ, but did you consider the i7-8700?

i did consider it but it's quite expensive here at the moment ($730) - i was thinking if i went with coffee lake i could upgrade to it later

3 hours ago, Sydlexic Deity said:

i did consider it but it's quite expensive here at the moment ($730) - i was thinking if i went with coffee lake i could upgrade to it later

Not the i7-8700K but the Intel Core i7-8700. But I see that even that is over NZ$525. Ouch!

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

10 minutes ago, brob said:

Not the i7-8700K but the Intel Core i7-8700. But I see that even that is over NZ$525. Ouch!

Woops I checked the wrong one. Yes the 8700 is still pretty expensive but I'll see what price it is when its back in stock at my local shop

Cheers