Business Management Software HELP

Hanno

Hi all, 

For my year 12 (Final year) of high school i'm planning on making a IT oriented business management software, I can code well in c# and I am also making an sql server to hook it up to but I just need some help brainstorming what I should put in the software, I was thinking of a job system where a client can enter a job from an external source and you can view your employees progress as well as complete invoices and manage an inventory (this is essential) but that is the main overview I would very much appreciate some help,

Kind Regards

Hanno

Just now, heimdali said:

How many years do you plan to work on this?

I have 8 months, I can do a 10th of this and still get full marks but you know go hard or go home

Forget it.  There´s no way to program an ERP system that can be practically used within only 8 months.

4 minutes ago, heimdali said:

Forget it.  There´s no way to program an ERP system that can be practically used within only 8 months.

Do you suggest any alternatives, I feel the useless music players that my peers are making are way to easy and a waste of my time.

Employee work hour records? 

Like have an object employee

stribg name

string job title

int job rank

Int hoursWorkThisYear

36 minutes ago, Hanno said:

Do you suggest any alternatives, I feel the useless music players that my peers are making are way to easy and a waste of my time.

Dunno, what is your intention?  What does ERP software have to do with music players?

Take a look at the source of ffmpeg, for example, and once you understood it completely, go ahead and write your own from scratch.  If you still think it´s way too easy, you can still do your ERP system because you´ll have plenty time left.

PS: Ah, yes, I can give you a challenge, but it would take quite a bit of explanation and would require you to be good at math.  And I would want to see the finished program.  Actually, I can give you two ...

On 20/11/2017 at 11:46 PM, heimdali said:

Dunno, what is your intention?  What does ERP software have to do with music players?

Take a look at the source of ffmpeg, for example, and once you understood it completely, go ahead and write your own from scratch.  If you still think it´s way too easy, you can still do your ERP system because you´ll have plenty time left.

PS: Ah, yes, I can give you a challenge, but it would take quite a bit of explanation and would require you to be good at math.  And I would want to see the finished program.  Actually, I can give you two ...

I am very interested, and I got it wrong I have 10 months
sorry for the late reply

On 20/11/2017 at 11:58 AM, Hanno said:

I can code well in c#

I think that's open to interpretation...

On 20/11/2017 at 12:12 PM, Hanno said:

I feel the useless music players that my peers are making are way to easy and a waste of my time.

Thing is, you're calling them useless, easy and a waste of your time but what about making one that's better? Something that is actually useful, built in adherence of good engineering and design principles; demonstrating a deep understanding and mastery of (and even exceeding) whatever concepts that you've been taught so far.

Sure you could spend the next 10 months (as you say) hammering out reams and reams of code in an attempt to fill some vague objective that you clearly have no idea about. But I bet that it will yield you far worse results than if you were to spend your time in a more pragmatic way; perhaps concentrating on a much smaller and simpler idea that you can build up from in iterative increments. In other words why not favour quality over quantity?

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

10 hours ago, Hanno said:

I am very interested, and I got it wrong I have 10 months
sorry for the late reply

Ok, let´s start with something very simple.  I call it "how to tie a boat".

So how do you tie a boat?  Humans usually just get it right because it´s obvious to them.  Not so a computer.

Hence write a program that simulates a boat which has N tiedowns for ropes and Z tiedowns for the other ends of the ropes.  N and Z can be equal or not; the actual numbers can vary, and your program needs to show solutions with at least 12 of each N and Z, and the minimum number of N and Z is 2 each.  You know the coordinates of all the tiedowns within a three-dimensional coordinate system.  Your program figures out how to tie the boat correctly under any circumstances --- that is, which rope goes from where to where, regardless of the relative positions and rotations of the boat and the tie downs Z --- and displays that.  Write as much of the program in perl as possible because perl is easy, and it is very suited for programming ERP systems, so it would be a learning experience into the right direction to begin with.  Of course, it must run on Linux systems.  You are not allowed to use a recursive algorithm, and you´re not allowed to use a (R)DBMS.

I do have a working solution for this (though not in perl), so I know it´s possible.

I´ll tell you the next step (which is the one I´m really interested in because I only have a solution, but not a good one) after I´ve seen your solution.  Since you´re so good at this, you have six weeks to complete it :)