ASUS Xonar D2X Experiences?

Paperchase

Hello.

I just ordered myself a Xonar D2X soundcard and I'm looking for some info from people who have any experience with soundcards.

Therefore I would love it if you can tell me some info about the points below.

• Software - Are there any drivers or any other type of software I should install to get the best possible audio experience?
  • Speakers - Do I really need a pair of excellent speakers to really notice much difference in audio quality compared to on-board audio?
  • Headphones - Same as speakers.
  • Overall - When you bought a soundcard did you notice any difference? tiny or big?

If you have anything else you would like to throw in, like i.e issues you had with having a soundcard etc, then please do so. :)

An opinion far away from your own can only be seen as madness.

Hi there,

I own and use a Xonar D2x myself since it came out, best sound card I have ever owned. Instead of using the drivers ASUS provide, I use the UNi Xonar drivers since they use less memory and have a bit less latency.

As to speakers and headphones, the better the speakers or headphone the more you will be able to notice, given that you are not hearing impaired.

I would say the difference is big between an on-board card and a proper sound card, especially if you know what to listen for and the difference will be very clear of you A/B test the equipment with less than a couple of seconds when switching between them, as sound memory doesn't last very long, at least not for me.