Cannot connect to Internet on new build

Tyler S

I recently built my computer and for the first two days I was able to connect to the internet through wifi fine. It wasn't the best speeds (about .5-1 mb/s when downloading games through Steam), but I was able to connect. Then after about two or three days, I lost all connection to the wireless router. I was using a USB wireless adapter and then tried the ASUS PCE-N15 and it still wouldn't connect. I have now tried a wall adapter to ethernet and it isn't able to connect to the other adapter that is plugged into the router. Almost everything is telling me to move closer to our router. My room is literally as far away from the router as I can be in my house (but my house isn't enormous; it's a bi-level) and I don't really have the option to move closer. My laptop and my sister's laptop are both able to pick up a strong wireless signal. My computer will occasionally connect to the router but then will disconnect after a minute or so. I've ran out of ideas and am getting very annoyed as I haven't had internet for about 5 days now on my computer. Is there anything else I can do to get a better signal in my room? Would I be able to add a second router in my room? And is there anything in the computer that would cause it to randomly not be able to connect?

All help is much appreciated.

Sooooooo your computer is still able to connect from time to time but then loses connection? Maybe your wireless adapter isn't powerful enough.

La`~

Ok. I'm going to try and move the wall to ethernet plug to the outlet that is in the hallway outside my room and see if that helps any. If it doesn't then I'll probably try the wifi extender thing at BestBuy (since it doesn't have to be shipped) and if that doesn't work then I'll get the long-antenna adapter. Thanks for the help. I realize all you had to do was tell me to get a better strength thing but as I said, I'm a hardware guy, not a network guy. But I appreciate it anyways. :D

Does sound like a wireless problem. Providing all of your other wireless devices are connecting to your router fine. Then it must be the distance that you are from your router. If you plug a network cable between them just to make sure at the settings are ok an that you drivers are up to date. If they look good then get a wireless range extender and connect to that.

Asus Maximus VI Hero , i5 4670k , 8gb Corsair vengeance ddr3, Asus HD 7970 matrix platinum, Corsair AX860, Ocz agility 3 120gb ssd, 1tb wd green hdd, custom water loop. All in an Antec p280

Yeah all my other wireless devices connect fine from the same room. I moved the wall adapter to ethernet out to the hallway outlet that is just outside my door and it connected. However, now it says that I am connected to my router and that I have internet access, but every time I try to open a web page it sits there for about 20 seconds and then tells me the webpage is not available (as if I am not connected). I read on Microsoft's Answer site that using the command (in the command prompt) "netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt" that it would fix it. I tried that and everything looked fine, rebooted like it said, and nothing changed. So now I am going to just have to try other methods to see if it works until the wireless adapter gets here.

And if that doesn't work, my uncle who has done almost everything in IT says he could easily run a ethernet cord from my room to the router downstairs and then I could get my router's 50mbps down and 10mbps up. :D

But I think that's the last thing my mom wants to have happen...