Help With Pc Upgrade

Marius5013
Go to solution Solved by Marius5013,
4 minutes ago, ImNotThere said:

ram doesnt make a big enough performance bump to make it worth investing in

instead of a whole new build:

buy another 8gb of ram if itll fit in the mobo

buy a 1080

buy a 1440p gsync monitor(perhaps 21:9!)

maybe get a better psu(optional)

and your build will last for a long time yet!

You know i just checked and i'm sure i can get the build i was proposing with a 1080 instead, and a new cpu!

Right, on my 14 birthday (21st of January) i am going to upgrade my pc (I'll list the upgrades below), and i'd like to know if i should get a new case, or if i should change some of the components. But lets get to it.

I am getting a new motherboard: ASUS Prime Z370-A, Socket-1151

A New Cpu: i7 8700k

A Cpu Cooler. Maybe this: Noctua NH-L9i Cpu Cooler

A New GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming Z

New Ram, Thinking: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3000Mhz 16GB

I was thinking. Should i get a new case aswell? Would that benfit me, should i change anything?

Case: Corsair Carbide 200R (Collects a lot of dust)

It's quite old now, i've had it since 2015. Should i get a new case aswell?

PS I do have a screen that'll do good with this build, yes it's 1080p, but i like that. It's a Samsung CFG70, bought it September this year.

EDIT: To make it easier here are the new and old parts if i buy them https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cfF6Gf

also seeing as your monitor has freesync, it would be worth looking into a vega 56, you are uk based to i assume by your earlier posts referring to pounds, you can find vega 56 cards even on amazon for the same price as the 1070 you want

1070 and vega 56 perform very similar and vega will give you the benefit of freesync which is truly great

why would you only get a 1070 with an i7? i7 only with gtx 1080 ti or SLI setups

2 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

why would you only get a 1070 with an i7? i7 only with gtx 1080 ti or SLI setups

Whaaa...?

4 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

youre wrong

Just now, ImNotThere said:

youre wrong

Veeeery wrong.

Just now, Pengu1N said:

i think he wants to know what your current specs are, not the ones that you'll buy later.

Yes, well i'll do that real quick.

2 minutes ago, Marius5013 said:

Yes, well i'll do that real quick.

yeah i wanted current specs haha, just to see if the upgrade for a whole new system would be worth it

5 minutes ago, ImNotThere said:

yeah i wanted current specs haha, just to see if the upgrade for a whole new system would be worth it

I see

Since i can't find all of the parts on partpicker i'll do it here

Case: Corsair 200R

Cpu: i7 4790 (not k)

Cpu cooler: One that comes with cpu (really bad)

Motherboard: MSI b85-e45 (...........)

Gpu: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Gaming X

Ram: Not sure, but they're some sort of 8gb hyperx ram. Most likely 2133 mhz ddr3

Storage: Seagate - 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive

PSU: Cooler Master - B500 ver.2 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

Pretty sure that's the parts

9 minutes ago, Marius5013 said:

I see

Since i can't find all of the parts on partpicker i'll do it here

Case: Corsair 200R

Cpu: i7 4790 (not k)

Cpu cooler: One that comes with cpu (really bad)

Motherboard: MSI b85-e45 (...........)

Gpu: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Gaming X

Ram: Not sure, but they're some sort of 8gb hyperx ram. Most likely 2133 mhz ddr3

Storage: Seagate - 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive

PSU: Cooler Master - B500 ver.2 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

Pretty sure that's the parts

personally, you dont have to buttt, dont upgrade cpu or mobo, and put money into another 8 gb of ram, a better graphics card and maybe a 1440p monitor, this being because if you play at 1440p you can get away with the cpu(its not bad at all)

9 minutes ago, ImNotThere said:

personally, you dont have to buttt, dont upgrade cpu or mobo, and put money into another 8 gb of ram, a better graphics card and maybe a 1440p monitor, this being because if you play at 1440p you can get away with the cpu(its not bad at all)

Yeah that did cross my mind, but i just really want a good and last upgrade that will last for a few years. Also i play games that heavily depend on the cpu, like arma 3, total war and such. So i do think that a big upgrade is necessary seing as it's my only real hobby except for astronomy. Don't know about 1440p i never really thought i'd need it seing as i find 1080p more than enough when it comes to visuals, i just want gameplay to be nice and smooth. But would this be sufficient? I mean, would it work well, anything i need to change? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cfF6Gf

EDIT: Plus, i'm taking the other parts i'm not going to use away so i can build a pc for my brother..

5 minutes ago, Marius5013 said:

Yeah that did cross my mind, but i just really want a good and last upgrade that will last for a few years. Also i play games that heavily depend on the cpu, like arma 3, total war and such. So i do think that a big upgrade is necessary seing as it's my only real hobby except for astronomy. Don't know about 1440p i never really thought i'd need it seing as i find 1080p more than enough when it comes to visuals, i just want gameplay to be nice and smooth. But would this be sufficient? I mean, would it work well, anything i need to change? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cfF6Gf

EDIT: Plus, i'm taking the other parts i'm not going to use away so i can build a pc for my brother..

the 4790 is more than enough for a while yet, you could buy a 1080 and a decent 1440p monitor now and later down the road get the next best thing when the 4790 isnt good(not for at least a couple years imo)

the build yoire thinking of is good, i wouldnt use that cooler as the 8700k runs hot, id reccomend a 240mm aio or a larger tower cooler

3 minutes ago, ImNotThere said:

the 4790 is more than enough for a while yet, you could buy a 1080 and a decent 1440p monitor now and later down the road get the next best thing when the 4790 isnt good(not for at least a couple years imo)

the build yoire thinking of is good, i wouldnt use that cooler as the 8700k runs hot, id reccomend a 240mm aio or a larger tower cooler

Yeah that actually sounds like a good idea, i'm just not sure if the ram (ddr3) is any good. Should i invest in a new motherboard that supports ddr4 ram, get good ram, a new gpu (1080), and a better cpu cooler?.

1 minute ago, Marius5013 said:

Yeah that actually sounds like a good idea, i'm just not sure if the ram (ddr3) is any good. Should i invest in a new motherboard that supports ddr4 ram, get good ram, a new gpu (1080), and a better cpu cooler?.

buy a 1080

4 minutes ago, ImNotThere said:

buy a 1080

You know i just checked and i'm sure i can get the build i was proposing with a 1080 instead, and a new cpu!

Just now, Marius5013 said:

You know i just checked and i'm sure i can get the build i was proposing with a 1080 instead, and a new psu

I'm getting the monitor i was talking about in December so i could switch it out with a 1440p if i wanted

13 minutes ago, ImNotThere said:

buy a 1080

Could you recommend a good psu and cpu cooler?

4 hours ago, Marius5013 said:

Could you recommend a good psu and cpu cooler?

supernova g2, 650 or 550w

air cooler, tried and true hyper 212 evo(x turbo whatever you can get) or if you can deal with the looks of it, the npctua nh d15

aio, anything from like nzxt, corsair, coolermaster 240 or 280 mm rad