Boosting PC with explosions

So I have an old PC that weighs about 8.5 KG (18.7 Lbs) and I was wondering how much gunpowder I would need to boost it into the air when its dropped?

Drop PC onto gunpowder and get gunpowder to boost pc back into the air with impressive force. How much gunpowder is needed?

Thanks guys!

- Moved to Off Topic -

(Lets keep this Civil)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 hours ago, Vatablous said:

So I have an old PC that weighs about 8.5 KG (18.7 Lbs) and I was wondering how much gunpowder I would need to boost it into the air when its dropped?

Drop PC onto gunpowder and get gunpowder to boost pc back into the air with impressive force. How much gunpowder is needed?

Thanks guys!

When I read the title it took me a while to get it, but I think you will get formula for that on Wikipedia, Google it

2 hours ago, Vatablous said:

Drop PC onto gunpowder and get gunpowder to boost pc back into the air

thats not how any of this works...

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

1 minute ago, Tsuki said:

thats not how any of this works...

I smashed a hammer onto gunpowder yesterday and it worked. Now I'm turning the hammer into a computer.

7 minutes ago, Vatablous said:

I smashed a hammer onto gunpowder yesterday and it worked. Now I'm turning the hammer into a computer.

assuming gunpowder ignites from force, not a spark(which it doesnt), the amount of force required to ignite it, would far exceed the kinetic force created by an object falling on it. unless it created a spark when it landed

it wont work

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

2 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

assuming gunpowder ignites from force, not a spark(which it doesnt), the amount of force required to ignite it, would far exceed the kinetic force created by an object falling on it. unless it created a spark when it landed

it wont work

You're saying gunpowder doesn't ignite from force?

3 minutes ago, Vatablous said:

You're saying gunpowder doesn't ignite from force?

correct.

|Specs in profile|

Just now, Tsuki said:

correct.

How do guns work then? And how was it that I slam a metal object into the gunpowder which causes it to ignite?

1 hour ago, Vatablous said:

How do guns work then? And how was it that I slam a metal object into the gunpowder which causes it to ignite?

guns work because the rounds have a primer, which is what the hammer strikes.

and you slammed a metal object onto it, presumebly while it was on the ground, creating a spark which ignited it.

|Specs in profile|

5 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

guns work because the rounds have a primer, which is what the hammer strikes.

and you slammed a metal object onto it, presumebly while it was on the ground, creating a spark which ignited it.

Ok, back to the original idea then, If the computer managed to gain enough momentum and somehow sparked with the ground, how much and what sort of gunpowder would be needed to launch it back into the air?

Doubt anyone's ever had to calculate this first. Maybe you should just buy a bunch and then tell us how much it took. Doesn't sound like a bad way to spend an afternoon, plus if it doesn't work you have a bunch of gunpowder to play with, which if were to guess I'd say it would be pretty hard to get the gunpowder to ignite. Even if dropping the computer could create a spark, the amount of gunpowder required to create that kind of force would most likely insulate the PC from making contact with the ground.

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

1 minute ago, PETRGangKing said:

Doubt anyone's ever had to calculate this first. Maybe you should just buy a bunch and then tell us how much it took. Doesn't sound like a bad way to spend an afternoon, plus if it doesn't work you have a bunch of gunpowder to play with, which if were to guess I'd say it would be pretty hard to get the gunpowder to ignite. Even if dropping the computer could create a spark, the amount of gunpowder required to create that kind of force would most likely insulate the PC from making contact with the ground.

Currently, the gunpowder I'm using is out of caps from a cap gun (google cap gun caps) and just one circle of those mangled up a hard drive's spinning disk pretty well. 

(unrelated but Petr how did you get your i7 to 5.1 GHz? I cant get mine to 4.8?)

6 minutes ago, Vatablous said:

Ok, back to the original idea then, If the computer managed to gain enough momentum and somehow sparked with the ground, how much and what sort of gunpowder would be needed to launch it back into the air?

assuming ideal conditions, you would use black powder, not gunpowder. gunpowder doesnt actually explode, its conflagurates(burns really fast) because its low density, great for propelling things(like bullets) but not great to create a force wave that would be needed to lift the computer.

black powder however, is more suited to your needs, as it releases 3 million joules of energy per kilogram.

you'd have to calculate how much force would be needed to move the computer would would be Force=mass x gravity

force =  8.5KG x 10m/s²  which is about 85 Netwon meters of force.

so if my math is right, you would need roughly .02 grams of black powder to move the computer. probably a bit more to actually lift it. but not too much more to avoid blowing it up entirely

|Specs in profile|

1 minute ago, Tsuki said:

assuming ideal conditions, you would use black powder, not gunpowder. gunpowder doesnt actually explode, its conflagurates(burns really fast) because its low density, great for propelling things(like bullets) but not great to create a force wave that would be needed to lift the computer.

black powder however, is more suited to your needs, as it releases 3 million joules of energy per kilogram.

you'd have to calculate how much force would be needed to move the computer would would be Force=mass x gravity

force =  8.5KG x 10m/s²  which is about 85 Netwon meters of force.

so if my math is right, you would need roughly .02 grams of black powder to move the computer. probably a bit more to actually lift it. but not too much more to avoid blowing it up entirely

Good math. That really doesn't seem like much powder and from a quick search, it seems fairly easy to get.

2 minutes ago, Vatablous said:

Good math. That really doesn't seem like much powder and from a quick search, it seems fairly easy to get.

its not a lot, and honestly doesnt seem like it would be enough.

its actually really easy to make at home too. i wont go into it, but everything you need can be bought at home depot.

one issue you're going to run into, is that just a pile of it may just put a hole in the case and not be dispersed enough to create lift. so you would need a bit more and spread out enough. but not too much, so you dont just blow it the fuck up

|Specs in profile|

Honestly, this was just a theoretical thread but it seems really easy to do. Thanks for the help!

26 minutes ago, Vatablous said:

Currently, the gunpowder I'm using is out of caps from a cap gun (google cap gun caps) and just one circle of those mangled up a hard drive's spinning disk pretty well. 

(unrelated but Petr how did you get your i7 to 5.1 GHz? I cant get mine to 4.8?)

I've got it 5.1 @1.38v with an AVX offset of 3. What is keeping you at 4.8? Thermals or stability?

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

Just now, PETRGangKing said:

I've got it 5.1 @1.38v with an AVX offset of 3. What is keeping you at 4.8? Thermals or stability?

I have never overclocked before. I also only built this system a few months ago. It's stability. I have tried a few times before but my computer always ends up crashing.

Try using an AVX offset. If the highest you can get it stable at is 4.8, you take whichever clock you're going for, subtract 48, and put your avx offset at that number. So say you're going for 5.0 ghz, you would set your CPU core at 50 and your avx offset at 2.  50-48= 2

1 minute ago, PETRGangKing said:

Try using an AVX offset. If the highest you can get it stable at is 4.8, you take whichever clock you're going for, subtract 48, and put your avx offset at that number. So say you're going for 5.0 ghz, you would set your CPU core at 50 and your avx offset at 2.  50-48= 2

Huh, that's interesting. I really don't know anything about Overclocking. Do I do this in bios?

Yes. It's also worth noting that overclock ability varies from chip to chip. While one 7700k might hit 5.1, another one might top out at 4.9

2 minutes ago, PETRGangKing said:

Yes. It's also worth noting that overclock ability varies from chip to chip. While one 7700k might hit 5.1, another one might top out at 4.9

Ah thanks. Do you have any other tips for overclocking? Where to find this stuff in bios?

Not really, with unlocked processors it's nowhere near as difficult to overclock as it used to be. Depending on your motherboard, the option for avx offset should be right by where you change the core ratio. Unless you are running on a Skylake motherboard, then it won't have that option as it was introduced with the z270 boards

Just make sure you have a good cooling solution, if you haven't delidded it, 7700k can get HOT