GTX 770 replacing stuff?

Billy_Mays

Im wanting to see what I can do to fix my GTX 770 because I want to play games again and idk what the part is or how hard its but the board is blistered and its right above the VRMs and idk how bad it is but if I could find a water block and maybe it could help but does anyone know if its fixable?

9C33E93A-4DFE-4F53-B646-905C41C6E3BD.png

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Just now, GitGud said:

Does the card work or not ?

It does but it wont launch games and it causes bluescreens

Fixing this isnt worth it and requires special gear and skills + parts. Since you seem to be a budget gamer i would suggest you to go for a new 1050ti or 1060. 

which model video card is it specifically ?

MSI gtx 770 Gaming? 

Photography / Finance / Gaming

3 minutes ago, mok said:

which model video card is it specifically ?

MSI gtx 770 Gaming? 

MSI GTX 770 twin frozr 2gb OC 

4 minutes ago, Klemmbrett said:

Fixing this isnt worth it and requires special gear and skills + parts. Since you seem to be a budget gamer i would suggest you to go for a new 1050ti or 1060. 

ok but if its something that I could use in the future lots I'll go for it

6 minutes ago, GitGud said:

So it overheats ?

no it doesnt 

Have you tried maybe undervolting, underclocking it and how it behaves then ? Otherwise yeah fixing stuff like this can be tricky and pricy.

Just now, GitGud said:

Have you tried maybe undervolting, underclocking it and how it behaves then ? Otherwise yeah fixing stuff like this can be tricky and pricy.

No becuase it caused lots of blue screens because I had them 3 or more times a day with it in and Ive used my PC for the last 4 hours without a problem

5 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

No becuase it caused lots of blue screens because I had them 3 or more times a day with it in and Ive used my PC for the last 4 hours without a problem

Yes you can use your pc without any problems. But as soon as your Graphics card has to work hard and needs more power this broken fuses start to be a problem, your Graphics card Shunting down is a safety net to not grill your GPU instantly when its under 100% load. 

Just now, Klemmbrett said:

Yes you can use your pc without any problems. But as soon as your Graphics card has to work hard and needs more power this broken fuses start to be a problem, your Graphics card Shunting down is a safety net to not grill your GPU instantly when its under 100% load. 

oh ok thanks and is it easy to replace the fuse?

1 minute ago, Billy_Mays said:

For someone with professional gear and experience not that hard but one or 2 fuses might not be the only thing broken. Do you have any soldering experience? Think about it its an old Graphics card its nothing worth to fix when you can get  a new card for 150-200 Euro that performs better and is more future proof. 770 is a 2 GB card from 2013 if im not wrong. 

5 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

From the pic, it looks like the board itself is damage too. Just fixing the fuse might not solve your problem.

And also keep in mind a good soldering iron + parts + gear costs as much as a recent mid tier graphics card. And if you have no experience you will most likely break it and even if not there is no guarantee that it fixes your issues. In addition you would need to get schemes to know where to solder what fuse. Because you cant just buy a fuse and solder it in these special ones can be tricky to find overall for a single repair not worth the stress, cost and time you will have to invest. If you want to learn this stuff then go for it but if you just look for a cheap solution buy a new graphics card.  

Just now, Klemmbrett said:

For someone with professional gear and experience not that hard but one or 2 fuses might not be the only thing broken. Do you have any soldering experience? Think about it its an old Graphics card its nothing worth to fix when you can get  a new card for 150-200 Euro that performs better and is more future proof. 770 is a 2 GB card from 2013 if im not wrong. 

Ok and Ive only soldered once so far, and Im also willing to look for a new GPU too but I would want it to have a shorter warranty or no warranty sticker on it

1 minute ago, Klemmbrett said:

And also keep in mind a good soldering iron + parts + gear costs as much as a recent mid tier graphics card. And if you have no experience you will most likely break it and even if not there is no guarantee that it fixes your issues. In addition you would need to get schemes to know where to solder what fuse. Because you cant just buy a fuse and solder it in these special ones can be tricky to find overall for a single repair not worth the stress, cost and time you will have to invest. If you want to learn this stuff then go for it but if you just look for a cheap solution buy a new graphics card.  

ok I knew that people here would be able to answer my question

11 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

From the pic, it looks like the board itself is damage too. Just fixing the fuse might not solve your problem.

I know thats why theres thousands of us here on the forum

Just buy a mined on GPU from Ebay.

CanTauSces: x5675 4.57ghz ~ 24GB 2133mhz CL10 Corsair Platinum ~ MSI X58 BIG BANG ~ AMD RADEON R9 Fury Nitro 1155mhz ~ 2x Velociraptor 1TB RAID 0 ~ 960GB x3 Crucial SSD ~ Creative SB Audigy FX ~ Corsair RM series 850 watts ~ Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440.

Just now, Potato*Salad said:

Just buy a mined on GPU from Ebay.

dont want it to die within a year of me owning it

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

dont want it to die within a year of me owning it

What makes you think it will die within a year? confirmation bias?

Your card already is dead and you can't afford much clearly.

CanTauSces: x5675 4.57ghz ~ 24GB 2133mhz CL10 Corsair Platinum ~ MSI X58 BIG BANG ~ AMD RADEON R9 Fury Nitro 1155mhz ~ 2x Velociraptor 1TB RAID 0 ~ 960GB x3 Crucial SSD ~ Creative SB Audigy FX ~ Corsair RM series 850 watts ~ Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440.

The whole trace plus some components are blown off the card. It is garbage. You can buy another 770 for less than it would cost to fix it.

Not worth the trouble and money. Move on to another card.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

9 hours ago, Potato*Salad said:

What makes you think it will die within a year? confirmation bias?

Your card already is dead and you can't afford much clearly.

No I wasn’t guessing 

2 hours ago, asand1 said:

The whole trace plus some components are blown off the card. It is garbage. You can buy another 770 for less than it would cost to fix it.

Not worth the trouble and money. Move on to another card.

Ok thanks for letting me know I wasn’t too sure if I could resurrect it or not