Novice Builder

NickToye

Hi,

I'm about to embark on a project, which I guess for many is their daily job or hobby.  I'm planning on building a moderately decent gaming PC and I'm going to do it over the next 6-12 months.  I've started by getting a case, a Game Max Falcon.  

I'll be honest, I have no clue where to start.  I don't plan on getting any other parts for a month or so, but I had money for my birthday so I got the case.  I was told I could connect the lights up to the fan, but I just don't know what I am doing.

Is there any advice, any tutorials to help get me started?

Thanks

Nick

Just now, NickToye said:

Hi,

I'm about to embark on a project, which I guess for many is their daily job or hobby.  I'm planning on building a moderately decent gaming PC and I'm going to do it over the next 6-12 months.  I've started by getting a case, a Game Max Falcon.  

I'll be honest, I have no clue where to start.  I don't plan on getting any other parts for a month or so, but I had money for my birthday so I got the case.  I was told I could connect the lights up to the fan, but I just don't know what I am doing.

Is there any advice, any tutorials to help get me started?

Thanks

Nick

A: What are the specs for this build?

B: Do you have a budget or limits and area, USD CAD etc

I don't really have any specs or budget in mind.  I'm based in the UK so all parts would be sourced here I guess.

Initially I'd just like to understand how to connect the RGB lights to the fan.  I am a total novice at this, but I do have a basic understanding of a computer as back in the late 90s I had many PCs which I swapped out memory, graphics cards, etc...  But I'm assuming its changed somewhat since those days.

Just now, NickToye said:

I don't really have any specs or budget in mind.  I'm based in the UK so all parts would be sourced here I guess.

Initially I'd just like to understand how to connect the RGB lights to the fan.  I am a total novice at this, but I do have a basic understanding of a computer as back in the late 90s I had many PCs which I swapped out memory, graphics cards, etc...  But I'm assuming its changed somewhat since those days.

are the lights in the fan or for example a CableMods light strip? 

if you intend to buy over a long span, buy the stuff which isnt going to have a lot of competition, like, buy yoir ram and ssd and hdd first, then after amd, intel and nvidia then buy up, you wouldnt want to buy a 1070 today and then in 12 months the 1170 come out and cost the same as the 1070 and outperform it

Okay so first thing you want to do is stop. Save money for a system, get your budget and then buy everything at the same time. You don't buy part by part over a year. That's just stupid.

Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz | Asus Maximus VII Hero | NZXT Kraken X61 | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro(Red) @ 1866MHz | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 250GB Samsung 850-EVO | 2- way SLI Asus Strix GTX 970's @ 1500MHz | EVGA 750W G2 | NZXT H440(black/red) | 3x120mm Sharkoon Shark Blade fans(red) | 3x140mm Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 fans |

2 minutes ago, Ryois said:

are the lights in the fan or for example a CableMods light strip? 

I bought this one.

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/game-max-falcon-white-pc-gaming-case-with-rgb-fans-a77xk

2 minutes ago, ImNotThere said:

if you intend to buy over a long span, buy the stuff which isnt going to have a lot of competition, like, buy yoir ram and ssd and hdd first, then after amd, intel and nvidia then buy up, you wouldnt want to buy a 1070 today and then in 12 months the 1170 come out and cost the same as the 1070 and putperform it

Ok, I think I understand what you mean.

4 minutes ago, Sanctorum said:

Okay so first thing you want to do is stop. Save money for a system, get your budget and then buy everything at the same time. You don't buy part by part over a year. That's just stupid.

Why is it stupid?

Just now, NickToye said:

Why is it stupid?

Not stupid, but it's better to save up and buy everything at once since it's more efficient and stuff won't be sitting around taking up space and collecting dust while you wait for the rest of your parts.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, NickToye said:

Why is it stupid?

Because then you end up with out-dated and/or mismatched parts, end up paying more than you would if youd just bought everything together. Then there's the possibility that you buy a motherboard now but don't get a CPU for another 12 months and it turns out your mobo was fucked but now you can't do shit about it.

Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz | Asus Maximus VII Hero | NZXT Kraken X61 | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro(Red) @ 1866MHz | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 250GB Samsung 850-EVO | 2- way SLI Asus Strix GTX 970's @ 1500MHz | EVGA 750W G2 | NZXT H440(black/red) | 3x120mm Sharkoon Shark Blade fans(red) | 3x140mm Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 fans |

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Not stupid

No, it is stupid.

Just now, Sanctorum said:

Because then you end up with out-dated and/or mismatched parts, end up paying more than you would if youd just bought everything together. Then there's the possibility that you buy a motherboard now but don't get a CPU for another 12 months and it turns out your mobo was fucked but now you can't do shit about it.

Well that's not likely to happen, I am aware of getting stuff that may become obsolete, so that I don't intend on doing.  I'll take on board what you have said, I may well save up, but surely there are things I can get that will last.  If not then I know the case will last, so I will save up for the major parts and get them in one go.

Also I may well buy the parts in one go if I can, but not necessarily put them together in one go.  I'm a fairly busy in my day job and life in general, and this is just a hobby for me that I wanted to do.  The guy in the shop suggested I can get a full PC in one go and pay it on 12 months finance, but that kind of defeats what I want to do really.

13 minutes ago, NickToye said:

Well that's not likely to happen

It's guaranteed to happen. You absolutely WILL have stupid out-dated, mismatched components that you paid too much for. 

14 minutes ago, NickToye said:

I may well save up, but surely there are things I can get that will last.

Last sitting in a cupboard collecting dust, doing nothing? For what reason exactly? It's utterly pointless and a total waste of money. You're just paying for shit you can't even use. Plus there's the fact that you could easily damage/lose parts over the time you're waiting to purchase everything else. There's literally no reason not to just save up your entire budget for a system and buy everything over the space of a week, or 2 at most.

1 minute ago, Sanctorum said:

It's guaranteed to happen. You absolutely WILL have stupid out-dated, mismatched components that you paid too much for. 

Last sitting in a cupboard collecting dust, doing nothing? For what reason exactly? It's utterly pointless and a total waste of money. You're just paying for shit you can't even use. Plus there's the fact that you could easily damage/lose parts over the time you're waiting to purchase everything else. There's literally no reason not to just save up your entire budget for a system and buy everything over the space of a week, or 2 at most.

ok.

32 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Not stupid, but it's better to save up and buy everything at once since it's more efficient and stuff won't be sitting around taking up space and collecting dust while you wait for the rest of your parts.

Thanks for your advice, it's well appreciated.