Ryzen 1600 question!

rogueone
Go to solution Solved by Sage_Masters,

I suggest you get the 1600 and a B series mobo would do fine for your brother whose just going to be gaming, as the differences of 1600 and 1600x is stated above :)

Hi folks...Got into a bind with my brothers computer  an old 960 i7 that has a crapped out motherboard. Looking to rebuild and interested in this new Ryzen lineup. I'd be looking at an i5 but can see why that is pretty much redundant!

It's just a pure gaming pc. Little bro doesn't even surf much so looking at 1600 vs 1600x.....what are the pros and cons? 

Also is a bxxx motherboard better than one of those x series motherboards....I understand all ryzen chips will overclock am I missing something there?

Advice greatly appreciated!

Pros of the 1600x: higher factory speeds

Pros of 1600: coomes with a stock cooler, and can OC past the 1600x with it. 

As a 1600 user myself, I'd say go for the 1600 considering ryzen master allows easy overclocking, I got mine to 3.9 on all cores, though I didn't go further since I was hitting 70-80C. Another negative of the 1600X is that you also have to buy an additional cooler, further increasing the price gap.

I suggest you get the 1600 and a B series mobo would do fine for your brother whose just going to be gaming, as the differences of 1600 and 1600x is stated above :)