Dual Channel Memory Help

uwotm869

G'day G'day

So i've spent at least an hour browsing both here and toms hardware trying to find a solution for my conundrum, but before we dive in here's the parts.

Motherboard: Asus 2170M-PLUS

CPU: Core i5-6500

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 (6GB)

MEMORY: Kingston Hyperx Predator DDR4 3000MHz 2x8GB Kit

PSU: Corsair CX600

Now my computer does not post with both memory sticks in. It powers on, fans spin, all mobo lights go on but my screen just stays black. nothing appears at all.

However. With a single stick in it works fine, in fact it worked fine with both sticks at first until one day it randomly just wouldn't post. Both sticks work individually on every slot. but when both are in is where we encounter the issue

With XMP enabled it still doesn't post. Changing the voltage doesn't provide result.

Even nuking the speed to 800MHz provides no result. I can say one time out of sheer will it somehow posted and booted to desktop with both sticks in, but after a restart it just went straight to black screen and no post. Quick list of things i have tried, that have not worked in regards to fixing this problem

-Updating BIOS

-Resetting CMOS (battery removed/reseated)

-Enabling XMP (both profiles)

-Resetting to the BIOS defaults

-Running both sticks in different slot configurations

-Swearing at it

Has anyone had a similar issue? or could provide perhaps another potential solution i can try?

Cheers

EDIT: Forgot to include windows version

EDIT 2: Forgot PSU specs

ok so from that list seems like you haven't tried the baseball bat yet! 

:P

Honestly with that particular issue I am just as flumoxed as you are! only thing i can recommend is trying a set of two different sticks and see if the problem happens again with those. 

it may be that one of the mobo memory slots may be damaged / faulty if the problem happens on a different pair too

Make sure they are in the proper slots! According to the manual your RAM Dimms for Dual Channel memory needs to be in DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2. These are the GREY Dimm slots.

Spoiler

i7-6700k OC'd 4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SC

So, each stick works in each slot, but not together? I'd probably RMA the motherboard, but I'd try a different set of RAM first.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

47 minutes ago, Metal_Kitty said:

ok so from that list seems like you haven't tried the baseball bat yet! 

:P

Honestly with that particular issue I am just as flumoxed as you are! only thing i can recommend is trying a set of two different sticks and see if the problem happens again with those. 

it may be that one of the mobo memory slots may be damaged / faulty if the problem happens on a different pair too

Tried with my old corsair DDR4 16GB kit (2x8GB) no issues apart from the known issues in regards to these sticks (hence why i got the kingston)

43 minutes ago, Axeonelite said:

Make sure they are in the proper slots! According to the manual your RAM Dimms for Dual Channel memory needs to be in DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2. These are the GREY Dimm slots.

Put em in those slots still no post. put em in both the other slots too, still no post

40 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

So, each stick works in each slot, but not together? I'd probably RMA the motherboard, but I'd try a different set of RAM first.

Correct, other ram works, the only weird thing is, both these sticks worked when i initially got them, and they worked for quite sometime too.

You might need to flash back to an older bios version. and  then test the sticks in the board... if they work after rolling back the bios - then report the fault to the motherboard manufacturer on the issue - with a report on the Bios version and which sticks are causing the problem.