Server Question About Buying

Zolfe

I am looking into building or.buying a server whichever one is cheaper budget is very cheap like 250-300. Oh my thing it will be used for is a few discord bots mine and a friends maybe my redirect website. I have seen some on eBay that are 150-175 and seem to be good but I know nothing about servers. One of them was a Dell PowerEdge T110 Tower Server Xeon 4-Core X3430 2.40GHz 16GB RAM 1TB HD for 175 and then another with the same specs but 8gb of ram for 125. Currently the boys are hosted on a digital ocean droplet with 1 gb of ram and a Xeon e5-2630L v2. It seems to run the bots just fine so would these servers above run good aswell?

PC Build

Ryzen 1800x

Asus Strix 1080ti

G-Skill Trident z RGB 32gb 3200mhz

Gigabyte K7 motherboard

NZXT Kraken x62

EVGA Supernova P2 850w

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG

SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1tb

Seagate Barracuda 3tb

Gigabyte WiFi and Bluetooth Card

x3 NZXT Aer RGB Fans

NZXT Hue

Those older X3400 Xeons are a bit power hungry, try and find something in the E3 v1 or newer era in your price range if you can.

15 hours ago, leadeater said:

Those older X3400 Xeons are a bit power hungry, try and find something in the E3 v1 or newer era in your price range if you can.

Can you link me to a good server that I could buy?

And what about this I cant fins anything with an e3 v1 maybe I am dumb lol 

Dell PowerEdge R710 3.5" Virtualization Server 2x 2.53GHz E5540 32GB iDRAC

PC Build

Ryzen 1800x

Asus Strix 1080ti

Gigabyte K7 motherboard

NZXT Kraken x62

EVGA Supernova P2 850w

SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1tb

Seagate Barracuda 3tb

x3 NZXT Aer RGB Fans

NZXT Hue

2 hours ago, Zolfe said:

Can you link me to a good server that I could buy?

And what about this I cant fins anything with an e3 v1 maybe I am dumb lol 

Dell R720 is the generation with the more power efficient CPUs, their a lower models as well but I'm not very failure with the entire Dell range of product. Dell has T series servers which are tower not rackmount and have single or dual CPU options.

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

Dell R720 is the generation with the more power efficient CPUs, their a lower models as well but I'm not very failure with the entire Dell range of product. Dell has T series servers which are tower not rackmount and have single or dual CPU options.

Sorry if I sound dumb saying this but by less power efficient do you mean takes more power? And can you maybe link me a server I know nothing about this all the R720 I see are upwards 1000 USD unless barebones.

PC Build

Ryzen 1800x

Asus Strix 1080ti

Gigabyte K7 motherboard

NZXT Kraken x62

EVGA Supernova P2 850w

SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1tb

Seagate Barracuda 3tb

x3 NZXT Aer RGB Fans

NZXT Hue

1 minute ago, Zolfe said:

Sorry if I sound dumb saying this but by less power efficient do you mean takes more power? And can you maybe link me a server I know nothing about this all the R720 I see are upwards 1000 USD unless barebones.

Yes the R710's or any server from Dell/HPE/IBM etc that use 5500 or 5600 series Xeons use a fiar amount of power. Those CPUs don't do power states very well so idle power usage is rather high compared to newer CPUs. It's not a deal breaker just something to think about and see if you can get something slightly newer if possible.

Have a look for servers using L5630 or similar, the L in the front stands for low power. I changed out the CPUs in my older servers that had E5520's in them with L5630's, 80W TDP vs 40W TDP.

A dual CPU L5630 server with 6 disks in it will idle around the 180W-200W mark, a newer server of similar configuration will be around the 90W-120W mark.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Yes the R710's or any server from Dell/HPE/IBM etc that use 5500 or 5600 series Xeons use a fiar amount of power. Those CPUs don't do power states very well so idle power usage is rather high compared to newer CPUs. It's not a deal breaker just something to think about and see if you can get something slightly newer if possible.

Have a look for servers using L5630 or similar, the L in the front stands for low power. I changed out the CPUs in my older servers that had E5520's in them with L5630's, 80W TDP vs 40W TDP.

A dual CPU L5630 server with 6 disks in it will idle around the 180W-200W mark, a newer server of similar configuration will be around the 90W-120W mark.

Will a lot of power make the server perform worse? Because I don't pay the power bill so I could care less yes I know that sounds dickish. 

And I know your probably getting tired of me saying this but can you link me a good server cheaper that 500 preferably around 300 but over is fine

PC Build

Ryzen 1800x

Asus Strix 1080ti

Gigabyte K7 motherboard

NZXT Kraken x62

EVGA Supernova P2 850w

SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1tb

Seagate Barracuda 3tb

x3 NZXT Aer RGB Fans

NZXT Hue

11 minutes ago, Zolfe said:

Will a lot of power make the server perform worse? Because I don't pay the power bill so I could care less yes I know that sounds dickish.

Well if power usage isn't a problem then what you are looking at is fine :). Dell R710 are good servers.

16 minutes ago, Zolfe said:

And I know your probably getting tired of me saying this but can you link me a good server cheaper that 500 preferably around 300 but over is fine

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-R710-12-Core-2-5-Server-64GB-RAM-PERC6i-DVD-iDRAC6-2x-450GB-SAS-/222330077951?hash=item33c3e7c2ff:g:NOgAAOSwa-dWnp7i

Spec wise way more than you actually need but great price and everything else in the R710 is around this price anyway.

13 minutes ago, leadeater said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-R710-12-Core-2-5-Server-64GB-RAM-PERC6i-DVD-iDRAC6-2x-450GB-SAS-/222330077951?hash=item33c3e7c2ff:g:NOgAAOSwa-dWnp7i

Spec wise way more than you actually need but great price and everything else in the R710 is around this price anyway.

Thanks; question.... which is a better CPU (sorry I know nothing about Xeon only about desktop CPUs)

The one you listed Intel Xeon Six Core E5645 2.4 GHz Processor

or an Quad Core Xeon X5570  2.93GHz

PC Build

Ryzen 1800x

Asus Strix 1080ti

Gigabyte K7 motherboard

NZXT Kraken x62

EVGA Supernova P2 850w

SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1tb

Seagate Barracuda 3tb

x3 NZXT Aer RGB Fans

NZXT Hue

23 minutes ago, Zolfe said:

Thanks; question.... which is a better CPU (sorry I know nothing about Xeon only about desktop CPUs)

The one you listed Intel Xeon Six Core E5645 2.4 GHz Processor

or an Quad Core Xeon X5570  2.93GHz

Mostly depends on the applications you are going to run. X5570 is an older revision compared to the E5645, the second number denotes that. Higher frequency is better for single threaded applications but the six core CPU is going to be able to run more applications or VMs or a multi threaded application better.

L - Low power
E - Mainstream
X - Performance 

3000 series - Single socket
5000 series - Dual socket
7000 series - Multi socket (more than two)

5500 Xeons support 144GB ram and 5600 Xeons support 288GB ram, not really something that you're going to have to worry about though.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Mostly depends on the applications you are going to run. X5570 is an older revision compared to the E5645, the second number denotes that. Higher frequency is better for single threaded applications but the six core CPU is going to be able to run more applications or VMs or a multi threaded application better.

L - Low power
E - Mainstream
X - Performance 

3000 series - Single socket
5000 series - Dual socket
7000 series - Multi socket (more than two)

5500 Xeons support 144GB ram and 5600 Xeons support 288GB ram, not really something that you're going to have to worry about though.

so the one you linked me should be able to host my discord bots and my redirect website?

PC Build

Ryzen 1800x

Asus Strix 1080ti

Gigabyte K7 motherboard

NZXT Kraken x62

EVGA Supernova P2 850w

SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1tb

Seagate Barracuda 3tb

x3 NZXT Aer RGB Fans

NZXT Hue

30 minutes ago, Zolfe said:

so the one you linked me should be able to host my discord bots and my redirect website?

Yes, very easily. You might want to keep looking for something cheaper though. Realistically a Raspberry Pi can do what you want.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Yes, very easily. You might want to keep looking for something cheaper though. Realistically a Raspberry Pi can do what you want.

Ill be hosting other things also upwards to 20 bots and my website and a few other things.

PC Build

Ryzen 1800x

Asus Strix 1080ti

Gigabyte K7 motherboard

NZXT Kraken x62

EVGA Supernova P2 850w

SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1tb

Seagate Barracuda 3tb

x3 NZXT Aer RGB Fans

NZXT Hue

2 minutes ago, Zolfe said:

Ill be hosting other things also upwards to 20 bots and my website and a few other things.

Well as long as you are happy with the price the was the best one I could find with the limited amount of time I looked.

Just now, leadeater said:

Well as long as you are happy with the price the was the best one I could find with the limited amount of time I looked.

thank you, should I ask him if he can put a different cpu in it and ask him what the price will be if so which one?

PC Build

Ryzen 1800x

Asus Strix 1080ti

Gigabyte K7 motherboard

NZXT Kraken x62

EVGA Supernova P2 850w

SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1tb

Seagate Barracuda 3tb

x3 NZXT Aer RGB Fans

NZXT Hue

5 minutes ago, Zolfe said:

thank you, should I ask him if he can put a different cpu in it and ask him what the price will be if so which one?

The CPUs it comes with are actually very good. Do you need rails to mount it in a rack? so you need more HDD space than the 450GB is comes with (RAID 1)? Ask if they have any blank HDD trays that you can mount your own 2.5" disks in to.

The CPUs it comes with are actually very good. Do you need rails to mount it in a rack? so you need more HDD space than the 450GB is comes with (RAID 1)? Ask if they have any blank HDD trays that you can mount your own 2.5" disks in to.

I wasnt gonna mount it I was going to lay it on one of my desk, is that not okay? It comes with 900gb but i do plan on adding my own 10tb drive, and I will ask that thank you for all your help.

PC Build

Ryzen 1800x

Asus Strix 1080ti

Gigabyte K7 motherboard

NZXT Kraken x62

EVGA Supernova P2 850w

SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1tb

Seagate Barracuda 3tb

x3 NZXT Aer RGB Fans

NZXT Hue

2 minutes ago, Zolfe said:

I wasnt gonna mount it I was going to lay it on one of my desk, is that not okay? It comes with 900gb but i do plan on adding my own 10tb drive, and I will ask that thank you for all your help.

It has two 450GB disks but normally in a server they are mirrored so only half the usable capacity. You won't be able to add a 10TB disk to this particular server as it only takes 2.5" disks not 3.5".

Maybe have a look at Dell R510 servers instead, in 3.5" disk bay configuration. 

13 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It has two 450GB disks but normally in a server they are mirrored so only half the usable capacity. You won't be able to add a 10TB disk to this particular server as it only takes 2.5" disks not 3.5".

Maybe have a look at Dell R510 servers instead, in 3.5" disk bay configuration. 

I meant 10tb of storage I have 3 of these but one is for my sisters laptop, will this work? Nevermind I know it wont

Seagate 5TB Barracuda Sata 6GB/s 128MB Cache 2.5-Inch 15mm Internal Bare/OEM Hard Drive (ST5000LM000)

PC Build

Ryzen 1800x

Asus Strix 1080ti

Gigabyte K7 motherboard

NZXT Kraken x62

EVGA Supernova P2 850w

SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1tb

Seagate Barracuda 3tb

x3 NZXT Aer RGB Fans

NZXT Hue

14 minutes ago, Zolfe said:

I meant 10tb of storage I have 3 of these but one is for my sisters laptop, will this work? Nevermind I know it wont

Seagate 5TB Barracuda Sata 6GB/s 128MB Cache 2.5-Inch 15mm Internal Bare/OEM Hard Drive (ST5000LM000)

Oh nice, yes those will work. Must have been rather price for them, 2.5" disks cost a fair amount more than 3.5" disks.

Oh nice, yes those will work. Must have been rather price for them, 2.5" disks cost a fair amount more than 3.5" disks.

I thought it had to be SAS hard drives or is that just what is in it right now?

PC Build

Ryzen 1800x

Asus Strix 1080ti

Gigabyte K7 motherboard

NZXT Kraken x62

EVGA Supernova P2 850w

SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1tb

Seagate Barracuda 3tb

x3 NZXT Aer RGB Fans

NZXT Hue

1 minute ago, Zolfe said:

I thought it had to be SAS hard drives or is that just what is in it right now?

SAS controllers can accept SATA disks, SAS is nice like that.

SAS controllers can accept SATA disks, SAS is nice like that.

I am looking at things and it says the link speed will be slower will this effect any real world performance?

PC Build

Ryzen 1800x

Asus Strix 1080ti

Gigabyte K7 motherboard

NZXT Kraken x62

EVGA Supernova P2 850w

SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1tb

Seagate Barracuda 3tb

x3 NZXT Aer RGB Fans

NZXT Hue

1 hour ago, Zolfe said:

I am looking at things and it says the link speed will be slower will this effect any real world performance?

Nope, also link speed depends on the SAS controller as well as the disk. HDD's aren't limited in performance by any of the possible SAS speeds anyway.