Partitioning USB drive

Bouzoo

I've got a San Disk Extreme 64GB which I use all the time, and to make my life easier I want to partition it. First partition would be 8GB and it would be boot/install Win 10 x64 that I got from my uni (legal version), the second partition would be the rest and it would be used a regular storage. I've seen many guides but they either use Linux, which I currently don't have, or some programs/workarounds that work for some and not for others. Not to lose too much time I've decided to see if anyone in the community has had an experience with this topic. 

Cheers.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Have you tried using diskpart? It's a Windows command line tool.

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics

I use Easeus Partition Manager for my USB devices, partly because it has more features than Windows Disk Manager and partly because I require FAT32 partitions bigger than 4GB and Windows won't allow that under any circumstances (despite it being totally fine using it).

I'm really not sure how doing a multi partitioned USB drive is going to work with booting a Windows installer though.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

49 minutes ago, JaegerB said:

Have you tried using diskpart? It's a Windows command line tool.

Yeah I tried it, had some issues and couldn't get to recognize/allocate my 2nd pertition (the left over space).

20 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I use Easeus Partition Manager for my USB devices, partly because it has more features than Windows Disk Manager and partly because I require FAT32 partitions bigger than 4GB and Windows won't allow that under any circumstances (despite it being totally fine using it).

I'm really not sure how doing a multi partitioned USB drive is going to work with booting a Windows installer though.

I ma trying it and it is working fine (trial version), however I'm getting the "all other operations are not available before format partition is applied". Any tips?

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

Yeah I tried it, had some issues and couldn't get to recognize/allocate my 2nd pertition (the left over space).

I ma trying it and it is working fine (trial version), however I'm getting the "all other operations are not available before format partition is applied". Any tips?

First fo all try and find V10.0 of EPM, it was before they added a trial mode and works fully.

Yes, I believe if you are creating partitions you must create them then click apply before you try and format them.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Yes, I believe if you are creating partitions you must create them then click apply before you try and format them.

OF course which doesn't work without a full license. Got it. Tnx!

19 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

snip

Also I forgot, is the way to make it show both partitions? I can only see this first one, no matter the combo of primary/logical. Haven't even installed Win on it yet. I know windows in general doesn't allow, it, but is there a way to make it doable with the program?

Edited by Bouzoo

2 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Also I forgot, is the way to make it show both partitions? I can only see this first one, no matter the combo of primary/logical. Haven't even installed Win on it yet. I know windows in general doesn't allow, it, but is there a way to make it doable with the program?

Never tried it with a USB stick so can't answer. Sorry.

2 minutes ago, hotweather said:

You can try with aomei disk partition free version and it works for me.

Can you somehow make it so both partitions are visible in WIndows?