Alternative to CyanogenMod?

Cy-Fy

Hey guys I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and it's running pretty slowly. I unistalled all unnecessary stuff and always keep it light with photos or videos and have even factory resetted it a few times but it's still the same. I was looking into CM because it seemed much lighter and it would give the phone a sort of new feel to it but I just found out they discountinued it and started Lineage OS.

I simply want to squeeze a couple more years out of this phone and wanted to install a new OS that would feel up to scratch and much lighter so CM was my first choice especially with the super easy installer they released a while ago. Is there anything like that out there that could help me?

Thanks a lot!

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

11 minutes ago, Cy-Fy said:

Hey guys I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and it's running pretty slowly. I unistalled all unnecessary stuff and always keep it light with photos or videos and have even factory resetted it a few times but it's still the same. I was looking into CM because it seemed much lighter and it would give the phone a sort of new feel to it but I just found out they discountinued it and started Lineage OS.

I simply want to squeeze a couple more years out of this phone and wanted to install a new OS that would feel up to scratch and much lighter so CM was my first choice especially with the super easy installer they released a while ago. Is there anything like that out there that could help me?

Thanks a lot!

I would recommend Resurrection Remix. Provides alot of customization options and is stable(at least on my LG G3) and if you're new to the world of custom roms, welcome and enjoy you stay forever, because there is no going back once you experience the freedom you have.

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

Any particular reason you're avoiding Lineage? As far as I know, that's the go-to if you want something like Cyanogenmod. I'm using it on my Galaxy S3 and I think the experience is very similar to Cyanogenmod.

1 hour ago, aneil1998 said:

I would recommend Resurrection Remix. Provides alot of customization options and is stable(at least on my LG G3) and if you're new to the world of custom roms, welcome and enjoy you stay forever, because there is no going back once you experience the freedom you have.

Thanks, I'm going to look into it. Haha yeah we'll see what happens once I start doing stuff instead of just reading about it.

1 hour ago, typographie said:

Any particular reason you're avoiding Lineage? As far as I know, that's the go-to if you want something like Cyanogenmod. I'm using it on my Galaxy S3 and I think the experience is very similar to Cyanogenmod.

No reason in particular, I just didn't know if it was genuinely a good option or if they just released it to please the peoe who had followed the brand for a while.

There is no installer or anything like what cm had but for Lineage is there?

Just making sure of how I'd go about trying it on my phone.

A question, was it an improvement over touchwiz in terms of the performance when you installed it?

Thanks!

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

13 minutes ago, Cy-Fy said:

No reason in particular, I just didn't know if it was genuinely a good option or if they just released it to please the peoe who had followed the brand for a while.

There is no installer or anything like what cm had but for Lineage is there?

Just making sure of how I'd go about trying it on my phone.

A question, was it an improvement over touchwiz in terms of the performance when you installed it?

I installed Lineage like I installed CM: I dropped the file and Gapps onto my phone's internal storage, rebooted into TWRP, and flashed the ROMs. I don't know how to use other methods, or what others are available.

I haven't used TouchWiz on this S3 in several years, so how it performed is not fresh in my mind. I went through several years and versions of CyanogenMod before trying Lineage. I will say I didn't notice a drop in UI performance going from CM14 to Lineage, which is all I really hope for with hardware half a decade older than the software.