Steam Link Questions

aneil1998

I want to get a steam link but i have a few questions about it.

1) How good is youtube playback on it

2) Can I use it to stream plex(I don't know the proper term to use)

3) Is there any latency when gaming

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

Just now, aneil1998 said:

I want to get a steam link but i have a few questions about it.

1) How good is youtube playback on it

2) Can I use it to stream plex(I don't know the proper term to use)

3) Is there any latency when gaming

1. I don't think it can do youtube play back, it's not a streaming box like a Roku, Fire Tv, or Shield. It's only to stream games from steam.

2. No, for the same reason as 1

3. Yes, but if you have good internet and use a wired connection it is not terrible. You won't be playing CSGO, but it should be fine. Just don't use is wirelessly 

The Steam Link is a streamer that streams your full display onto your TV (or whatever your Link is connected to). So you can stream Plex and YouTube on it, but it'll have some latency. The Steam link isn't just for streaming games.

Source: have a Steam link.

1 hour ago, Max_Settings said:

1. I don't think it can do youtube play back, it's not a streaming box like a Roku, Fire Tv, or Shield. It's only to stream games from steam.

2. No, for the same reason as 1

3. Yes, but if you have good internet and use a wired connection it is not terrible. You won't be playing CSGO, but it should be fine. Just don't use is wirelessly 

1 hour ago, Fissshie said:

The Steam Link is a streamer that streams your full display onto your TV (or whatever your Link is connected to). So you can stream Plex and YouTube on it, but it'll have some latency. The Steam link isn't just for streaming games.

Source: have a Steam link.

Thanks for the help. I'll buy one when i get the chance or when i could get it cheap, whichever comes first

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

Just now, aneil1998 said:

Thanks for the help. I'll buy one when i get the chance or when i could get it cheap, whichever comes first

You just missed the summer sale, wait for the winter sale then it goes down to I think $30

Just now, Max_Settings said:

You just missed the summer sale, wait for the winter sale then it goes down to I think $30

Well i have $10 from prime day, so i might use it if i could get it around that price