Recommend power supply

AT0MAC

Im building a workstation out of a lot of random components, mostly old used parts - but one thing I dont trust used is power supplies.

Parts so far is:

Xeon 1270v2, 32GB ECC DDR3, servergrade Asus m-ATX MB, 6x 120mm Corsair ML120 fans, 5x 5400RPM harddrives and 2 SSDs.

Plus a SATA3 PCIe controller, extra Lan card, GTX 690 GPU. No keyboard, no mouse, no screen, will be used headless.

I have calculated it to arround recommended 550Watt minimum, but I think it would not hurt going upwards, so Im looking at 750+ watt models, also to get peak performance out.

I prefer gold rating as that usually tells something about the components used quality, but as the machine will never be on 24/7 its not super crucial, as long as its at least bronze instead of non-rated.

I will admit I do have a love for Seasonic and EVGA, as they have never failed me, but im open to other alternatives.

Not really any budget for this build, just want the best bang for the $£kr.

My Gaming PC: 27833

g2 650w

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

6 minutes ago, themctipers said:

g2 650w

Funny you should say that, I have the bigger version in my gaming rig :P

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/4k6scf

I want to hear others opinions before I jump the gun...

Actually now thinking of it, maybe I should just swap it out and get something else for the gaming system....

They are all equal. I own the EVGA SuperNova  G2 750w myself and it's a great psu!

personally, Im loving my Seasonic x650. A tier 1 PSU, fully modular, gold rating with fanless mode.

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

15 hours ago, xGGAx said:

personally, Im loving my Seasonic x650. A tier 1 PSU, fully modular, gold rating with fanless mode.

I actually have a Seasonic X400FL gold already, true fanless. I have soo many parts just laying around from old builds, its too good to let go but too underappreciated to sell - and for this build im very sure it would not be enough, as that GTX 690 is a old school dual GPU monster before power efficiency was a term nVivia knew.

Im kind of looking at the M12II-750 Evo as I am very sure its absolute awesome, its just a little pricey and only bronze rated, so thinking there might be better options elsewere but so far looks like Im only getting the same recommendations as I already know about. fellow LTT users have great taste in hardware apparently :D

Kind of think I found a solution, a silenced version of Lian Li PC-K6 case (because I also need a case for the build and hard drives makes a lot of annoying noises), a HDMI input card because I will partly use the workstation for streaming and recording gameplay and a Seasonic Platinium 760Watt PSU!

It will end up costing way more than I first thought of, but I think this is the ultimate solution for this type of build: combined mass storage, workstation, streaming/recording, VMs and hardware testing.

It also makes it clear that with this build I can sell off a lot of the parts I have laying around, because if I cant even use them in a scrap build, then when will I ever be able to use them... Also, a way to finance the higher than expected price tag. Thanks for confirming me in the choices made

Capture.JPG

I have a lot of parts laying around, and now when I went trough what I want to sell, I got a new idea....

Instead of building one do-it-all machine, I could split it up into 1 NAS and 1 stream/record rig.

Actually when I calculate on the required power, one of the machines need about 230 Watt (and I have a 250W PSU) and the other would need about 430 Watt (and I have a 400W PSU).... What happens when wattage rating is soo close to what actually needed?

That's a really good price for that XP2 760W.