battery dying?

WarWeeny

So i got myself a fancy laptop a while ago (June 2016) and it did what it need to do quite well.

Currently i have the laptop on the charger and it is stuck on 93%, but the laptop says it is still charging.
This has been going on for a few hours now, it will not go on green so to say (orange when charging, green when full)

i looked at the battery report that windows made, but i am not becoming any wiser lol.

i unplug the charger when watching movies or typing reports and the like, until windows prompts me to say to plug it in if it is at 10%.
iI did this in hopes of decreasing a "lazy battery" pattern, but i guess it did not help me if i see the symptoms it has now.

Hopefully someone here knows whats up.

i just bluntly copied pasted the data in a notepad file, sorry for the jumpy text.

battery report.zip

Has the battery all of a sudden made this jump, or has it been a gradual decline to 93%? Usually batteries will just "die" or run out of juice at a higher percentage than normal, but I guess it could just not charge to its total capacity. If that is the case, then I would assume that the manufacturer has decided to display the battery wear in that specific way. What kind of laptop is it? Model/Brand

the report reads that the original capacity is 90,000mwh and what it's full capacity now is 64,000 (rounded up) so it seems that your battery is losing possible charge

44 minutes ago, Septimus said:

Has the battery all of a sudden made this jump, or has it been a gradual decline to 93%? Usually batteries will just "die" or run out of juice at a higher percentage than normal, but I guess it could just not charge to its total capacity. If that is the case, then I would assume that the manufacturer has decided to display the battery wear in that specific way. What kind of laptop is it? Model/Brand

Asus G751JY it has the i7 4750 and gtx 980M.

As far as i know it just happened out of the blue.

i know the battery gets wear and tear, but would it still be stuck at the charging mode and not go to 100% then? 

As far as i know, even when a battery loses charges over time, it still goes to 100%.

1 minute ago, WarWeeny said:

Asus G751JY it has the i7 4750 and gtx 980M.

As far as i know it just happened out of the blue.

i know the battery gets wear and tear, but would it still be stuck at the charging mode and not go to 100% then? 

As far as i know, even when a battery loses charges over time, it still goes to 100%.

I would agree with you on that, and I find it especially weird since its at 93% but the capacity certainly isn't 93%, it's more around 50-60%. I wonder if Windows doesn't know how to handle that much of a loss in battery. Download something like HWMonitor (its freeware), which allows you to monitor the levels of current charge as well as the wear level of your battery. See if when the battery is at 93% HWMonitor shows that the battery is at its full capacity (full capacity of the worn out battery, rather than its original capacity). If it is at the full capacity of the worn out battery, then I would assume that Windows doesn't know how to deal with measuring the batteries capacity after it is that old. If it isn't at the worn out battery's full capacity, then I don't know what to tell you other than its a hardware issue with the battery's overcharging mechanism that is making it stop charging a little sooner than it should. 

2 hours ago, Septimus said:

I would agree with you on that, and I find it especially weird since its at 93% but the capacity certainly isn't 93%, it's more around 50-60%. I wonder if Windows doesn't know how to handle that much of a loss in battery. Download something like HWMonitor (its freeware), which allows you to monitor the levels of current charge as well as the wear level of your battery. See if when the battery is at 93% HWMonitor shows that the battery is at its full capacity (full capacity of the worn out battery, rather than its original capacity). If it is at the full capacity of the worn out battery, then I would assume that Windows doesn't know how to deal with measuring the batteries capacity after it is that old. If it isn't at the worn out battery's full capacity, then I don't know what to tell you other than its a hardware issue with the battery's overcharging mechanism that is making it stop charging a little sooner than it should. 

What if the battery gets overcharged and explodes or something?

Not sure if possible of course, but it still is charging without getting additional charges so i am wondering if i could overload the battery this way.

Just now, WarWeeny said:

What if the battery gets overcharged and explodes or something?

Not sure if possible of course, but it still is charging without getting additional charges so i am wondering if i could overload the battery this way.

As long as the battery isn't attempting to get more power into it's cells, then it should be fine. The easy way to check is to monitor its temperature, just check it by placing your hand on it (assuming it's accessible from the outside of the computer) every once in a while, and certainly after it has reached the 93% mark. 

3 minutes ago, WarWeeny said:

it still is charging without getting additional charges so i am wondering if i could overload the battery this way.

Do you mean that the battery regulating software isn't detecting any more cycles on the battery? 

18 minutes ago, Septimus said:

Do you mean that the battery regulating software isn't detecting any more cycles on the battery? 

it never did according to the battery report.

it doesn't feel warm to the touch per-se, but it would be quite bad if it did some excessive damage to the laptop if it did overcharge it.

I could not send it away anytime soon too seeing i need it for everyday use.

this is what hw monitor says:

CvwYLPG.png

Just now, WarWeeny said:

it never did according to the battery report.

it doesn't feel warm to the touch per-se, but it would be quite bad if it did some excessive damage to the laptop if it did overcharge it.

I could not send it away anytime soon too seeing i need it for everyday use.

this is what hw monitor says:

CvwYLPG.png

I wouldn't worry about anything as drastic as an battery catching fire and exploding. It seems to be in normal shape for a battery that has been used almost every day with hardware like that. 

12 minutes ago, Septimus said:

I wouldn't worry about anything as drastic as an battery catching fire and exploding. It seems to be in normal shape for a battery that has been used almost every day with hardware like that. 

it is not the wear and tear that would worry me, it is that the laptop stays at charging mode instead of going into "full" mode.

maybe it is windows that is reading stuff wrong...

Just now, WarWeeny said:

it is not the wear and tear that would worry me, it is that the laptop stays at charging mode instead of going into "full" mode.

maybe it is windows that is reading stuff wrong...

What exactly do you mean by "Full" mode rather than "charging" mode? The little dialogue box that comes up when you click on the battery icon in Windows 10? 

Just now, Septimus said:

What exactly do you mean by "Full" mode rather than "charging" mode? The little dialogue box that comes up when you click on the battery icon in Windows 10? 

When the laptop is charging the charging light is orange, when the battery is at full capacity it turns into a green light.

The problem is, is that it stays at the orange state instead of the green one, indicating it is charging at all times.

6 minutes ago, WarWeeny said:

When the laptop is charging the charging light is orange, when the battery is at full capacity it turns into a green light.

The problem is, is that it stays at the orange state instead of the green one, indicating it is charging at all times.

I bet that that indicator is based off of something in the operating system rather than an independent component, I wouldn't worry about it. I would start to worry If you notice overheating though, at that point, remove the battery and just run the laptop off of the AC power adapter that you use to charge it. 

You mentioned that you can't send the laptop away because you use it almost every day, have you considered buying a replacement battery and doing the installation yourself? Is the laptop battery external or internal? (External meaning easily accessible from the outside of the laptop, usually removes with the flip of a switch). 

Just now, Septimus said:

I bet that that indicator is based off of something in the operating system rather than an independent component, I wouldn't worry about it. I would start to worry If you notice overheating though, at that point, remove the battery and just run the laptop off of the AC power adapter that you use to charge it. 

You mentioned that you can't send the laptop away because you use it almost every day, have you considered buying a replacement battery and doing the installation yourself? Is the laptop battery external or internal? 

i would assume i could replace the battery by myself, but the battery of this laptop is quite pricey, and i am still well under warranty (3 years) so it would be a waste of money to replace it myself.

The indicator is from the laptop itself, not integrated into windows (it is a light on the outside of the laptop).

Just now, WarWeeny said:

i would assume i could replace the battery by myself, but the battery of this laptop is quite pricey, and i am still well under warranty (3 years) so it would be a waste of money to replace it myself.

The indicator is from the laptop itself, not integrated into windows (it is a light on the outside of the laptop).

I would see if you can get them to send you the battery, if not, wait until the end of your warranty or when you are able to send it away for a period of time. Be forewarned though, some manufacturers don't allow you to send in your computer if you are within a month or a few weeks of the expiration of your warranty.