HE 400i help

Jayvee3492

I bought a HE 400i and let my girlfriend use it. She doesnt hear a difference between any cheap headphones and my he400i. I dont have any dac/amp and i just plug it on my pc. Asus B85 Pro gamer motherboard. 

Will a amp/dac really add sound quality to give my girlfriend that "WOW" sound?

Plan on getting Audioquest Dragonfly Black or Red. Cant get Schiit where i live.

Thank you!

11 minutes ago, Jayvee3492 said:

I bought a HE 400i and let my girlfriend use it. She doesnt hear a difference between any cheap headphones and my he400i. I dont have any dac/amp and i just plug it on my pc. Asus B85 Pro gamer motherboard. 

Will a amp/dac really add sound quality to give my girlfriend that "WOW" sound?

Plan on getting Audioquest Dragonfly Black or Red. Cant get Schiit where i live.

Thank you!

anything you do will only change it very minutely and you will only notice it if you listen back to back and memorize every sound. plus maybe your girl friends hearing just bad. when audiophiling only do it for yourself not other people since they have different preferences and ears 

The question is, do YOU hear a difference? If you are not buying the headphones for your girlfriend, who cares what she thinks of them.

It's certainly possible that your music is the limiting factor here. If you listen to modern, heavily compressed pop, there just isn't much in the way of detail to reveal with better headphones. Same goes for if you are using a compromised audio format, such as low quality mp3.

47 minutes ago, SSL said:

The question is, do YOU hear a difference? If you are not buying the headphones for your girlfriend, who cares what she thinks of them.

It's certainly possible that your music is the limiting factor here. If you listen to modern, heavily compressed pop, there just isn't much in the way of detail to reveal with better headphones. Same goes for if you are using a compromised audio format, such as low quality mp3.

Im a newbie to the audiophile world. I hear the difference. i kind of care what she thinks because it kind of need to justify my purchase to her. :)

I use Spotify Premium. I tried listening to some norah jones on spotify and i liked it. Any tips on how to make my girlfriend say wow using these headphones i have just bought? only thing i can think of is buying an amp/dac. Thinking about getting the Audioquest Dragonfly Black or Red since i cant buy schiit here. I also thinking if i should save up for the Red since its double the price.

let her only use them for a while and then let her use lesser headphones, that is probably the best way for her to notice, since we humans notice a bad thing more than a positive thing. It is also possible that she just have bad hearing, my parents can't hear a difference between a lot of my headphones.

Also where are you in the world?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

let her only use them for a while and then let her use lesser headphones, that is probably the best way for her to notice, since we humans notice a bad thing more than a positive thing. It is also possible that she just have bad hearing, my parents can't hear a difference between a lot of my headphones.

Also where are you in the world?

Ill try to look for earphones that comes with phones. 

Philippines :( 

2 minutes ago, Jayvee3492 said:

Ill try to look for earphones that comes with phones. 

Philippines :( 

oh yeah Philippines seem to be a not so good place for this stuff, at least from what I have seen.

Some people are just less sensitive to this stuff :D 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

oh yeah Philippines seem to be a not so good place for this stuff, at least from what I have seen.

Some people are just less sensitive to this stuff :D 

ye. i can get the xduoo xd05, audioquest dragonfly or some fiio's :(

Just now, Jayvee3492 said:

ye. i can get the xduoo xd05, audioquest dragonfly or some fiio's :(

dragonfly are prob the best in terms of audio quality, never tried xduoo and fiio is eehhh, but fiio might also have the most power.

I would get a dragonfly and see if it has enough power

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

dragonfly are prob the best in terms of audio quality, never tried xduoo and fiio is eehhh, but fiio might also have the most power.

I would get a dragonfly and see if it has enough power

Dragonfly is kind of on top of my list. Thinking about if Red is worth it since its double the price.

im looking for the best audio quality to add to my he400i

Just now, Jayvee3492 said:

Dragonfly is kind of on top of my list. Thinking about if Red is worth it since its double the price.

im looking for the best audio quality to add to my he400i

It offers a quality bump, but only you can judge if it is worth it,

Just now, Dackzy said:

It offers a quality bump, but only you can judge if it is worth it,

Im playing on 100% volume on my computer. i think i really need an amp/dac. Good thing we can audition it before buying. I dont want to regret not buying the red. It will cost more if i opt to upgrade later 

12 minutes ago, Jayvee3492 said:

Im playing on 100% volume on my computer. i think i really need an amp/dac. Good thing we can audition it before buying. I dont want to regret not buying the red. It will cost more if i opt to upgrade later 

oh try it out and see if you need to turn up to 100% and see how big of a difference you can hear between them