More focus on Mobile Computing than Desktop Computing

LanceXXX

This has occurred to me ever since the start of the smart phone era but have u guys ever noticed that there is much more attention being focused towards mobile computing and less towards desktop computing. Intel's new haswell chips are shown to reduce power consumption by a significant amount while increasing performance by 10% like usual Generation performance increases. It is known that this focus towards power efficiency is for ultrabooks and other mobile devices that require lower power consumption to increase battery life. Such a situation was never an important aspect of a PC and i believe if Intel didnt focus on power consumption, they could have given us a Haswell ship with significant performance increases. 

Another example would be mobile screens vs desktop monitors. Screens on mobile devices are so advanced that it is the norm for there to be 1080p displays on most new smartphones while in the monitor side, even though the screen is about 4 to 5 times as large, it is still the norm to use 1080p screens. I dont understand this.. i just dont. The desktop monitor technology has remained stagnant for the past 3 years or so which is really disappointing. Sure there is this new 4K thing coming about but i dont really care for that though. What i want is a 2560 by 1600 24 inch IPS display damn it! .. i really do! 

Well other than my egoistic needs and wants, i really am seeing a huge focus in mobile computing and i feel that tech companies like intel, display companies and Microsoft are neglecting us PC users which really disappoints me. What do you guys think?

We PC enthusiasts are such a small fraction of all their income and they will earn more focusing on the mainstream users than the enthusiasts.

I just hope by the time after haswell-e which the next microprocessor architecture is skylake ..no? I don't have a clue.

But in 2 years or 3 years I hope all portable as in netbooks whether they're fully fledged gaming laptops, ultrabooks, macs, tabs and mobile phones can be slightly under par against a proper desktop graphically, low power usage, differential form factors.

I'm not quite sure if I really am disappointed about increasing the pixel density since I have last years best smartphone htc one x :) however I can't see where something like a 4K mobile phone will really help me. 2560*1600 sounds like just enough for mobile pixel density with maybe a tegra 4 or 5 processor by that time a phone is well managed and produced.

This power consumption factor is really a limitation

Nvidia, AMD and Intel should really stop rocking on their high horses and realise that the public audience is really asking for more every 6-18 months

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>