Gaming Monitor Recommendations

FireBlazer

Hi guys.  I am a bit overwhelmed by all the choices for gaming monitors.  : /   There just are SO many options out there on Amazon.  I was just checking out a few threads and I saw Dell's S2716DG as being a recommended choice.  Do you guys have any other recommendations for me?  I would like to stay below $500 if possible and the monitor be 1440p .  The Dell S2716DG is like exactly $500 and I really can't spend more then that at this time.

Thanks guys! :D

If you post your PC specs and what games you like to play and at what target FPS then we can advise much better etc.

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

Sorry about that.  I have a Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz and a GeForce GTX 1070.  As for games I play, I live MOBAs, FPS, a few MMOs, and I am looking to play some newer AAA games like The Evil Within 2 that is coming out soon and and Prey.  As you can tell I like a variety of games. lol  I look forward to your responses. :)

1 minute ago, SCGazelle said:

The Dell s2716dg seems like the best choice in that case

Thank you for the response Gazelle.  If I end up spending 500+ I will probably go with the s2716dg.  I have really read only good things once its calibrated and the settings are messed with.  

Would you have any suggestions for a cheaper monitor?  I have the money for the Dell, I just don't know if I should justify it and would like some cheaper options to look at.  I know for G-Sync I am looking at least $450 but I am not 100 percent sure I even need G-Sync.  As you can probably tell I am pretty new to PC gaming.  If anyone has anymore input or suggestions it would be well appreciated. :)

4 minutes ago, FireBlazer said:

Thank you for the response Gazelle.  If I end up spending 500+ I will probably go with the s2716dg.  I have really read only good things once its calibrated and the settings are messed with.  

Would you have any suggestions for a cheaper monitor?  I have the money for the Dell, I just don't know if I should justify it and would like some cheaper options to look at.  I know for G-Sync I am looking at least $450 but I am not 100 percent sure I even need G-Sync.  As you can probably tell I am pretty new to PC gaming.  If anyone has anymore input or suggestions it would be well appreciated. :)

yeah, I get what you mean. There are a couple other options (all are 1440p, 144hz):

Dell S2417DG - The younger sibling of the Dell S2716DG. It has a similar panel so expect all the pros and cons that you know. It saves money by being a 24" which makes 1440p almost useless but tries to make up for it by still including G-Sync, which isn't as beneficial on a high refresh rate monitor but still is a benefit.

AOC AG271QX - A very popular alternative to the Dell S2716DG. The AOC has good color accuracy (but will need to be calibrated) for a TN. It has good uniformity but doesn't have the best viewing angles, but that isn't generally a big problem for monitors. It boasts a 30-144hz FreeSync range but that doesn't mean much to you since you have a GTX 1070. Anyway, if I had to recommend you one monitor. This would be it.

Acer XG270HU - I'm going to throw this monitor in here but I don't expect you to give a thorough look into it. It has good colors out of the box so limited color calibration should only be needed. It has good contrast but nothing to set it apart from the others. Unfortunately, it lacks good stand adjustment so no height or swivel adjustments. And it costs the most out of the three.

Good Luck!

25 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

yeah, I get what you mean. There are a couple other options (all are 1440p, 144hz):

Dell S2417DG - The younger sibling of the Dell S2716DG. It has a similar panel so expect all the pros and cons that you know. It saves money by being a 24" which makes 1440p almost useless but tries to make up for it by still including G-Sync, which isn't as beneficial on a high refresh rate monitor but still is a benefit.

AOC AG271QX - A very popular alternative to the Dell S2716DG. The AOC has good color accuracy (but will need to be calibrated) for a TN. It has good uniformity but doesn't have the best viewing angles, but that isn't generally a big problem for monitors. It boasts a 30-144hz FreeSync range but that doesn't mean much to you since you have a GTX 1070. Anyway, if I had to recommend you one monitor. This would be it.

Acer XG270HU - I'm going to throw this monitor in here but I don't expect you to give a thorough look into it. It has good colors out of the box so limited color calibration should only be needed. It has good contrast but nothing to set it apart from the others. Unfortunately, it lacks good stand adjustment so no height or swivel adjustments. And it costs the most out of the three.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the awesome response! :)  I really like the look of the Acer panel but I probably will end up going with the Dell S2716DG as I do want 27' and its only 50 bucks more than the alternatives and has G-Sync.  

3 minutes ago, FireBlazer said:

Thanks for the awesome response! :)  I really like the look of the Acer panel but I probably will end up going with the Dell S2716DG as I do want 27' and its only 50 bucks more than the alternatives and has G-Sync.  

No problem. I enjoy looking this stuff up and trying to create a summary of them. The Dell is a great monitor and I'm sure you will like it. Good luck!

Dell monitors are the best on the eyes and have great quality from the monitors i have owned. I believe my friend has the S2716DG he plays CS Go competitively he never complains about it but im not sure i still use an LG IPS 1080p panel i will never go back to TN

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700 With Corsair H110i GT GPU: GTX 1060 Strix OC MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon 1tb Samsung 850 Evo