Using Second Router As Range Extender

z123killer

Is it possible to use my older router as a range extender in another room without a wired connection? 

29 minutes ago, z123killer said:

Is it possible to use my older router as a range extender in another room without a wired connection? 

Technically yes, but it really depends on what your router's firmware can do.

Nice tutorial here:

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-extend-your-wi-fi-network-with-an-old-router-915783308

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

yes you can.

people like to put their routers in the garage or at the same hieght as furniture.

but best wifi setup is to put your router on the ceiling in the center of your house.

You would have to live in a palace to require more than one well placed wifi router

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

23 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

yes you can.

people like to put their routers in the garage or at the same hieght as furniture.

but best wifi setup is to put your router on the ceiling in the center of your house.

You would have to live in a palace to require more than one well placed wifi router

i live in a 1800sqft 2 story house which is far from a palace and in order for me to have perfect coverage through out my house i need 3 access points, one upstairs, one downstairs and one near the back so my backyard gets coverage

OP
if your routers firmware supports wireless repeating than follow the user manual to setup the wireless repeating feature, i know on one of my netgear routers it needed the MAC address of the access point you are trying to repeat
if your router doesnt support wireless repeating than see if it supports a 3rd party firmware like DDWRT or Open WRT cause those firmwares will give your router that feature