GPU usage 20-30 on Minecraft?

jcoops

I know this sounds dumb as f***, but I really enjoy this game.

I've noticed that my frames have dropped from 800-1000 to 200-400, this sounds not that bad, but I get really bad frame freezes too.

I've downloaded a GPU monitor, (although hesitant as this messed up my GPU earlier), and it showed usage between 20-30 while playing..  

I've also noticed lower frames in steam games like CS:GO and GTA V.

Specifiications: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RgXCvV

gpu clocks? 
what mods installed/game version?

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

Just now, McHox said:

gpu clocks? 
what mods installed/game version?

GPU clocks at 1240 for the GPU clock, and 3505 for the MEM clock.  

I use PvP mods such as ProjectL, old animations, etc., but this doesn't seem to impact the game as I've run on regular optifine and it's the same.

minecraft sometimes changes my default max FPS settings, that could be something you check. I'd also monitor GPU temp/clock like McHox said above

Just now, Jackson, The Computer Dude said:

GPU clocks at 1240 for the GPU clock, and 3505 for the MEM clock.  

I use PvP mods such as ProjectL, old animations, etc., but this doesn't seem to impact the game as I've run on regular optifine and it's the same.

game/optifine version?

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

anyways since this seems to be a system wide issue i'd remove the drivers with ddu and do a clean install

Just now, McHox said:

game/optifine version?

Optifine 1.8.9, I use 1.11 occasionally and use optifine on all versions, forge with optifine on 1.8.9.

i also just remembered minecraft can be very CPU bound, so I would check CPU usage during gameplay as well. Even though your CPU should be fine, If you leave a few programs open in the background it could make all the difference.

Just now, McHox said:

anyways since this seems to be a system wide issue i'd remove the drivers with ddu and do a clean install

I've had this issue multiple times, and it sucks and I hate it.  I've had to reinstall 3 times.  I'm also having trouble reinstalling, it always says problem resetting your pc, no matter what I try.

Just now, matt0725 said:

i also just remembered minecraft can be very CPU bound, so I would check CPU usage during gameplay as well. Even though your CPU should be fine, If you leave a few programs open in the background it could make all the difference.

Yeah, about that.  CPU maxes out at 40% while playing.

1 minute ago, Jackson, The Computer Dude said:

I've had this issue multiple times, and it sucks and I hate it.  I've had to reinstall 3 times.  I'm also having trouble reinstalling, it always says problem resetting your pc, no matter what I try.

...so have you done it with ddu before?

Just now, Jackson, The Computer Dude said:

Yeah, about that.  CPU maxes out at 40% while playing.

thats strange. Something in your system has to be acting up if you get recurring issues across reinstalls. I wonder if the WD Blue drive is slow and holding up the process?

Just now, matt0725 said:

thats strange. Something in your system has to be acting up if you get recurring issues across reinstalls. I wonder if the WD Blue drive is slow and holding up the process?

Might be.  Gonna need to upgrade things soon regardless.

nah its just minecraft, the game is java based and eats ram like crazy, I remember when i used to play it when I had 8gb it would eat ram till it hit 8gb and the game would stutter indefinitely until u restarted.