Pc freezing during heavy gpu load

NightMiu
Go to solution Solved by NightMiu,

Fixed it. It was the gpu overheating actually, not the core but some other component that I couldn't read the thermal output of. I Swapped my 980Ti for a friend of mines 970 and they both worked in our systems. Now the only major difference between our systems is that his case got much better airflow (due to my reservoir blocking most of the airflow to the gpu) so i jury rigged a fan with some zip ties to the side of my case and lo and behold the gpu worked fine again. Now why the gpu decided it was time to poop it pants idk it's been working fine before... And adding to my confusion it was still freezing my pc after I replaced the old thermal paste and pads. But meh, works again now huzzah!

Check the spoiler for an epic view of my new cooling solution.

Spoiler

asddsadsasda.thumb.png.d0fa3323ad825d7ed74e9e92b32328bf.png59330b9b3b9b0_epiccooling.thumb.jpg.afd2f90c8facc7c97ea086a553ee5054.jpg

Yo, this post is more or less just a repost form overclock.net forum, I'm just trying to solve this problem as fast as possible, cause not having a working pc sucks...

So the problem is that the pc hard freezes during intensive gpu tasks like gaming or furmark stress test. It takes around 5 to 15 min before the system locks up. I've taken out the gpu and put it in another system and it worked fine, then I used another psu in the pc, the freezeing is still happening.
All temps look good. If I stresstest with aida64 system is stable. This only occurs when I'm doing a gpu intensive task. Which makes me scratch my head a little since the gpu worked fine in another system.
One thing to note is if I reboot right after the freeze my bios will freeze too.

Now I've had this problem before and what I did was to increase the voltage to my gpu once and poof my pc worked for 6 months, until it failed again now. But this is so strange since it worked in another system...I'm just so god damnd confused....

So do you guys have any suggestions on what could be causing this?

Cpu: Intel i7 6700k Mobo: ASUS Maximus VIII Formula Ram: G.Skill RipjawsV 3200Mhz C14 16Gb Gpu: Gigabyte 980ti Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Psu: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2

Have your tried running a Memtest86+ test? 

reinstalled your drivers? 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

6 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

Have your tried running a Memtest86+ test? 

reinstalled your drivers? 

yes and yes.

Cpu: Intel i7 6700k Mobo: ASUS Maximus VIII Formula Ram: G.Skill RipjawsV 3200Mhz C14 16Gb Gpu: Gigabyte 980ti Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Psu: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2

So you tried a furmark test in another PC and it didn't happen? (assuming yes)

Have you tried changing PCIe slots? 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

7 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

So you tried a furmark test in another PC and it didn't happen? (assuming yes)

Have you tried changing PCIe slots? 

yes and yes again :)

Sounds like the video card is overheating. Try tearing it apart and cleaning out the old thermal paste. Then reapply with new thermal compound and see if that works. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

6 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Sounds like the video card is overheating. Try tearing it apart and cleaning out the old thermal paste. Then reapply with new thermal compound and see if that works. 

Already done that no other change than a 8°C cooler card :)

37 minutes ago, NightMiu said:

Already done that no other change than a 8°C cooler card :)

reinstall the video card drivers? 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

38 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

reinstall the video card drivers? 

yes, all the basic troubleshooting stuff has been done, new windows install, drivers etc...

Maybe the mobo is dying...

I'm at a total loss, I just installed another gpu in the system that is freezing and it worked fine (XFX HD 5870, my old card). Like what the hell is this? the ultimate troll pc?

So here is where I'm at, 980Ti works in another system but computer locks up when its installed in mine, an old 5870 works without freezing the pc. I have tested with two diffrent psu's, new drivers, new windows install on a seperate drive, loaded optimized defaults in the bios, tried diffrent pci slots, system also works fine with no gpu installed.

It has to be either the mobo or gpu right? why just why...

Fixed it. It was the gpu overheating actually, not the core but some other component that I couldn't read the thermal output of. I Swapped my 980Ti for a friend of mines 970 and they both worked in our systems. Now the only major difference between our systems is that his case got much better airflow (due to my reservoir blocking most of the airflow to the gpu) so i jury rigged a fan with some zip ties to the side of my case and lo and behold the gpu worked fine again. Now why the gpu decided it was time to poop it pants idk it's been working fine before... And adding to my confusion it was still freezing my pc after I replaced the old thermal paste and pads. But meh, works again now huzzah!

Check the spoiler for an epic view of my new cooling solution.

Spoiler

asddsadsasda.thumb.png.d0fa3323ad825d7ed74e9e92b32328bf.png59330b9b3b9b0_epiccooling.thumb.jpg.afd2f90c8facc7c97ea086a553ee5054.jpg