Thermalpads for gpu

Thue500

Hi, I have been using a Kraken G10 on my Msi R9 390 GPU, but want to go back to my air cooler. But the thermal pads you get with the cooler is a bit broken and I don't know how bad I need them. With the Kraken G10, I was stupid enough to not get any thermal pads or cooling sink. But after 1.5 years there have still not been any problem with the card. So I was wondering if I went back to the air cooler would really need the thermal pads or can I go a month playing without them?

1 minute ago, Thue500 said:

Hi, I have been using a Kraken G10 on my Msi R9 390 GPU, but want to go back to my air cooler. But the thermal pads you get with the cooler is a bit broken and I don't know how bad I need them. With the Kraken G10, I was stupid enough to not get any thermal pads or cooling sink. But after 1.5 years there have still not been any problem with the card. So I was wondering if I went back to the air cooler would really need the thermal pads or can I go a month playing without them?

put thermal adhesive strips on the VRMs and VRAMs and put small copper or aluminium heatsinks on there. That wil lcost you like 20€ on amazon.de

The vram would be ok but everything could suffer. Just get some pads. Only a few bucks and I'm sure you can wait 2-4 days. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

3 hours ago, Tiwaz said:

put thermal adhesive strips on the VRMs and VRAMs and put small copper or aluminium heatsinks on there. That wil lcost you like 20€ on amazon.de

I was thinking about getting the stock cooler on it.

3 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

The vram would be ok but everything could suffer. Just get some pads. Only a few bucks and I'm sure you can wait 2-4 days. 

Yeah your probably right but only gonna use it for 2-3 months max.

Less than $20 on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Thermal-Pad-145-1-0/dp/B00UYTTXSM/ref=sr_1_4?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1496250092&sr=8-4&keywords=arctic+thermal+pads&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011

I had no idea what thickness I needed to get for putting the cooler back on my old 270X (previously it had a water cooler and Enzotech copper heatsinks on VRAM and voltage regulators).

Managed to trim down the voltage regulator heatsinks to fit with the stock cooler in place, but it currently has no thermal pads on the VRAM.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.