Adaptive sync technology confusion

Hello

after doing some research I am really cofused with adaptive sync technologys. I know g.sync and freesync and their benefits and suddenly I discover a new one thats called "adaptive sync" and read about it. 
My story is a bit like this: currently I have a gtx 1070 and I thought of getting a 144hz panel weather it is 1080p or 1440p doesn't matter now. But then I discoverd this new one and thought: What if I get a 1440p 144hz monitor with probably this adaptive sync or freesync (read that they are identical but not sure) and later this year get a Vega card that can drive this beast and even if not i could use the 144hz partially with my 1070 and this adaptive sync and still get a decent experience or ?

You can use a freesync monitor with a 1070, but freesync won't work. It will just be a normal 144hz monitor. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

You can use a freesync monitor with a 1070, but freesync won't work. It will just be a normal 144hz monitor. 

I know but what is up with this "adaptive sync" thing?

Just now, tracktype said:

It won't work. Adaptive Sync is the VESA standard that Freesync is based off of, and is unsupported by Nvidia.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, tracktype said:

It's part of the DisplayPort specification, it provides a standardized method of communication for variable-refresh protocols. It's for manufacturer use. FreeSync uses this protocol to operate over DisplayPort.

There is also FreeSync over HDMI, which (presumably) uses a custom protocol created by AMD, since HDMI doesn't have a standardized protocol for variable refresh like DisplayPort's adaptive-sync, (though HDMI 2.1 will add one in the future called "game mode VRR").

Adaptive-Sync isn't an alternative option to FreeSync or G-Sync, it's just the name of some of the underlying operations being used by FreeSync (and mobile G-Sync).

1 hour ago, tracktype said:

Hello

after doing some research I am really cofused with adaptive sync technologys. I know g.sync and freesync and their benefits and suddenly I discover a new one thats called "adaptive sync" and read about it. 
My story is a bit like this: currently I have a gtx 1070 and I thought of getting a 144hz panel weather it is 1080p or 1440p doesn't matter now. But then I discoverd this new one and thought: What if I get a 1440p 144hz monitor with probably this adaptive sync or freesync (read that they are identical but not sure) and later this year get a Vega card that can drive this beast and even if not i could use the 144hz partially with my 1070 and this adaptive sync and still get a decent experience or ?

technically, both technologies are similar in scope, but they don't work with the other. NVIDIA can choose anytime to support freesync, as freesync itself is embedded in the VESA standard and is therefore open-source. but they're probably gonna stick with G-sync for a while. so with the NVIDIA route you have to get a gsync display. if you were to buy a freesync panel with a NVIDIA card, you can still use the display. only the adaptive sync won't work. however if you're moving to AMD, then you will be able to use freesync.