Gaming CPU needed

23 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

1800x Better than 7700k? Define better?

Because in gaming it is far behind my friend.

Also buying a 1800x/1700x over a 1700 is pretty stupid these days, as all chips once OC'ed run at the same frequency give or take, so it's only for those who are unable to OC themselves :)

Better = Being more versatile.

I don't care that I lost 10 FPS by upgrading to the 1800x from the 6700k because I gained much more in other tasks. I noticed zero visible difference in gaming when I did that swap, that doesn't mean there is no difference because there is, and the 6700k is better for gaming, but it is so marginal that I could care less about it.

With the 6700k at 4.7GHz I was getting around 1000 points in Cinebench. With the 1800x at just 3.9 I get 1700... that's a 70% improvement!

I'm a bit disappointed by the overclocking headroom on Ryzen but even at 3.9, it is just flat out better than my old 6700k. I do not regret this upgrade whatsoever. I am gonna put the 6700k in my secondary rig where I currently have an old 8350. It is not going back in my main rig because the 1800x is just better.

And I'm only a gamer too, I do upload vids to Youtube but I just record them with Nvidia Share and upload them. I don't edit them at all. I haven't rendered a video since like 2014. But I'm an enthusiast and I care a lot about benchmark scores and the 1800x is just better for me and makes me happier than my 6700k did.

oh I forgot I will pair this Rig with 1440p 144hz G-Sync Dell S2417DG monitor :ph34r: so with I7 I will push more frame right ?

23 hours ago, Simon771 said:

To be fair, I will probbably switch to Ryzen, but not because Intel performs bad. I just hate those hot CPUs from Intel ... i7 7700k at stock speeds is almost overheating out of the box. But those CPUs are "meant" to run at 5GHz all the time, so to acchive that you need to delid them. 

I would buy i7 7700k for my rig instantly, if it was already delided and taken care of that overheating issue. But because that's not possible I'm stuck with either X99 platform or Ryzen since those are all soldered.

X99 is going to become dead platform since Intel will be releasing X299 soon. Not sure if I want to wait that long, just to see 6 core CPUs priced at 500€ and 8 core CPUs at 700€.

I think you can buy a delid though not from Intel. Check out silicon lottery. They offer binned chips and you can purchase a delid from them. 

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 0:25 AM, Feris said:

I am going to build a new Rig without any used stuff. my current setup is:
 - Motherboard: Asus Strix Z270F
 - CPU: I7 7700k

- CPU cooler: Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 Direct

- VGA: Asus Strix OC 1080ti

- RAM: 2x8Gb G.Skill RGB 3000Mhz

I am not streaming only do Gaming. I don't know I should go with Intel or Ryzen 1700 and some B350 motherboard for future gaming requirement ?

Maybe buy a delid 7700k and water col it so you can get a nice solid OC. More RAM would also be a bonus. Other than that you can't do much else to make it better though if you wanted to throw some money around, you could always buy a 4tb SSD just to have everything as fast as possible.

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe

17 hours ago, XCalinX said:

Better = Being more versatile.

I don't care that I lost 10 FPS by upgrading to the 1800x from the 6700k because I gained much more in other tasks. I noticed zero visible difference in gaming when I did that swap, that doesn't mean there is no difference because there is, and the 6700k is better for gaming, but it is so marginal that I could care less about it.

With the 6700k at 4.7GHz I was getting around 1000 points in Cinebench. With the 1800x at just 3.9 I get 1700... that's a 70% improvement!

I'm a bit disappointed by the overclocking headroom on Ryzen but even at 3.9, it is just flat out better than my old 6700k. I do not regret this upgrade whatsoever. I am gonna put the 6700k in my secondary rig where I currently have an old 8350. It is not going back in my main rig because the 1800x is just better.

And I'm only a gamer too, I do upload vids to Youtube but I just record them with Nvidia Share and upload them. I don't edit them at all. I haven't rendered a video since like 2014. But I'm an enthusiast and I care a lot about benchmark scores and the 1800x is just better for me and makes me happier than my 6700k did.

The thing is if you are a gamer and only a gamer, the 7700k is miles ahead, more than 10 fps over the 1800x (up to 40 fps in some games!). So unless you are a content creator I do not see the point of downgrading like that. Now you did say you like benchmark scores so if that's your thing then of course, 8 cores will produce a better score than 4 I won't argue with that.

I am literally in the same boat at the moment, planning a new build and keep going between the 1700 (binned chip @ 4ghz from Silicone Lottery's website) or a 7700k (5.2ghz binned chip from SL as well). The AMD route is cheaper and by the sounds of it better outside of gaming, but it looks like games favour the intel chip a lot more these days..

I wonder if optimisations in the next month or two will fix this?

Also some guy showed a benchmark of a 1080TI and 1700 chip against a 1080ti and 6900k on a 1080p res (overkill I know), and the 1080ti was heavily bottlenecked at that resolution by the 1700... Although this doesn't apply to me as I play on 1440p 165hz and have a secondary 4K monitor. Hmm

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

4 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

The thing is if you are a gamer and only a gamer, the 7700k is miles ahead, more than 10 fps over the 1800x (up to 40 fps in some games!). So unless you are a content creator I do not see the point of downgrading like that. Now you did say you like benchmark scores so if that's your thing then of course, 8 cores will produce a better score than 4 I won't argue with that.

I am literally in the same boat at the moment, planning a new build and keep going between the 1700 (binned chip @ 4ghz from Silicone Lottery's website) or a 7700k (5.2ghz binned chip from SL as well). The AMD route is cheaper and by the sounds of it better outside of gaming, but it looks like games favour the intel chip a lot more these days..

I wonder if optimisations in the next month or two will fix this?

Also some guy showed a benchmark of a 1080TI and 1700 chip against a 1080ti and 6900k on a 1080p res (overkill I know), and the 1080ti was heavily bottlenecked at that resolution by the 1700... Although this doesn't apply to me as I play on 1440p 165hz and have a secondary 4K monitor. Hmm

Well to get 165FPS in all games then yes, go with the 7700k then maybe when games start using more cores upgrade to either Ryzen or an Intel chip with more cores. While I spend a lot of time gaming, the ammount of games I play isn't that big, for the most part I only play BF1, SWBF, GTA V and Dirt Rally and some older games that will run fine even on a Core 2 Duo or something outdated like that, but in these games the Ryzen 1800x serves me just as well as the 6700k did, especially since I game at 4k 60Hz and I don't see myself changing my monitor until you can get a 120/144hz 4K panel for 700$ish.

9 hours ago, XCalinX said:

Well to get 165FPS in all games then yes, go with the 7700k then maybe when games start using more cores upgrade to either Ryzen or an Intel chip with more cores. While I spend a lot of time gaming, the ammount of games I play isn't that big, for the most part I only play BF1, SWBF, GTA V and Dirt Rally and some older games that will run fine even on a Core 2 Duo or something outdated like that, but in these games the Ryzen 1800x serves me just as well as the 6700k did, especially since I game at 4k 60Hz and I don't see myself changing my monitor until you can get a 120/144hz 4K panel for 700$ish.

Just found a video that I think answers both of my questions very well..

Looks like RAM speed and further optimisation puts it above the 7700k in quite a lot of titles, and very close second to the rest... Damn.

Well, Ryzen it is :D

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR