WDMyCloud 'problems'?

Hi,

I've recently acquired a WDMyCloud 4TB hard drive. It is supposed to have a local network access, as well as cloud access. However, I've encountered a few issues with it.

Firstly, even though it is a 5400rpm HDD, the speeds I get whilst writing and reading are rather slow.

For instance, I tried to copy 3x 1GB files from it onto my PC (local), and it felt really slow (~35 minutes). The PC was connected with WiFi (5GHz), and the drive to the network via ethernet.

I share this drive with other people, and they noticed the same issue. However, they have said that the speeds via the 'cloud interface' were much faster than this.

Therefore, what could I do (if anything) to maximize the speeds on the local network? Could it be from the router? I really do not have much experience with networks, so any help is very welcome.

Thank you for your help,

Sneling

Hardwire to your router if possible. It should clear up a lot of issues. Also if youre transferring a lot of small files, it'll be slow regardless

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Just now, Scruffy90 said:

Hardwire to your router if possible. It should clear up a lot of issues. Also if youre transferring a lot of small files, it'll be slow regardless

Sadly, I have to use WiFi for now. Do you think this could be the main reason to the slow speeds? I mean, the thing can stream 4K video to my PC, but as mentioned earlier it's mostly the download of those 4K videos that then seem to take a really long time compared to what I'd expect.

11 minutes ago, Sneling said:

Sadly, I have to use WiFi for now. Do you think this could be the main reason to the slow speeds? I mean, the thing can stream 4K video to my PC, but as mentioned earlier it's mostly the download of those 4K videos that then seem to take a really long time compared to what I'd expect.

Definitely a huge chunk of the problem. I have a PR4100 and everything is slow over wifi. Ended up having to move it and wire it for me to get adequate speeds. Wired drive to wired comp I get close to a gbps. Wired drive to comp over wifi is about a little more than half full speeds

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

18 hours ago, Scruffy90 said:

Definitely a huge chunk of the problem. I have a PR4100 and everything is slow over wifi. Ended up having to move it and wire it for me to get adequate speeds. Wired drive to wired comp I get close to a gbps. Wired drive to comp over wifi is about a little more than half full speeds

Okay, I see. Thanks for your help man.