RX 470 Reference OC question

AP_97

Hello.

I want to ask a few questions about my Sapphire Platinum RX 470 4G OC reference cooler card. I got this card for the same price as an 1050 Ti ( i was originally want to go with Nvidia here, but when the Zotac model [the cheapest 1050 Ti in my area] is out of stock, and seeing other brands pricing is the same as this RX 470, i said F it, Red team it is).

It served me well these 2 months, 1080p60Hz is no problem, however i have a question about this card.

How far can i OC it? I'm new to the PC community (i DETEST using the snobby term that is PCMR) so i'll plan to do a 1250Mhz clock speed for practice, but usually with a reference card like this what can i expect? Also i need to point out my PSU is the Corsair VS450, so if my PSU can't handle it then please let me know.

My card is the middle one in the picture, by the way.

Thank you in advance, and have a good day / night

58f40544a64a3_RX470.jpg.b46b1387538e046e59d4e3e42ec08cb4.jpg

We dont support the PCMR elitest attitude. We are enthusiast's who love to push the envelope of PCs while still respecting others opinions and views. You should be able to OC it a bit. IIRC the RX 4XX series cards didnt OC that much when they first launched so your mileage may vary.  

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1300-1350 should be doable on stock voltages, if the RX 480 is any indication. My RX 480 does 1350. And since there aren't any unlocked voltage BIOSes for the RX 470, that might be as far as a 470 will go without watercooling.

Keep in mind you can adjust voltage down, this is important because the Polaris GPUs overclock better on lower temps even though they also respond to voltage. That's also useful because you might hit a power limit if you OC on stock voltage. So don't be afraid to do -50mV and see how far you can go. On my 480 25mV less usually meant 20MHz less which is very little. Your choice on whether that's worth it.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

13 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

We dont support the PCMR elitest attitude. We are enthusiast's who love to push the envelope of PCs while still respecting others opinions and views. You should be able to OC it a bit. IIRC the RX 4XX series cards didnt OC that much when they first launched so your mileage may vary.  

Depends on the silicon lottery, then? but now i've seen reviews of the card and most will max at 1350Mhz... i may try 1275Mhz..

8 minutes ago, Energycore said:

1300-1350 should be doable on stock voltages, if the RX 480 is any indication. My RX 480 does 1350. And since there aren't any unlocked voltage BIOSes for the RX 470, that might be as far as a 470 will go without watercooling.

Keep in mind you can adjust voltage down, this is important because the Polaris GPUs overclock better on lower temps even though they also respond to voltage. That's also useful because you might hit a power limit if you OC on stock voltage. So don't be afraid to do -50mV and see how far you can go. On my 480 25mV less usually meant 20MHz less which is very little. Your choice on whether that's worth it.

What about memory clocks? is that going to be affected by lower voltages as well?

Just now, AP_97 said:

Depends on the silicon lottery, then? but now i've seen reviews of the card and most will max at 1350Mhz... i may try 1275Mhz..

Yea, best to start slow and test it out with a synthetic test like Unigine Heaven for a loop or 2 and see if its stable and bump the clocks up slowly from there until it starts crashing. Then back it down to where you were stable at and you should be good. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

Yea, best to start slow and test it out with a synthetic test like Unigine Heaven for a loop or 2 and see if its stable and bump the clocks up slowly from there until it starts crashing. Then back it down to where you were stable at and you should be good. 

will the clocks reset itself when it crashes?

Just now, AP_97 said:

will the clocks reset itself when it crashes?

no. The benchmark or game will just close. You will need to manually pull the clocks back. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

1 minute ago, AP_97 said:

What about memory clocks? is that going to be affected by lower voltages as well?

Nope, memory is its own circuit. Should be able to hit 8000 on it

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR