Computer blacks out under load

Spets

Tragedy has struck my friend whose computer blacks out under load, I think he removed the GPU cooler and didn't apply new thermal paste. Under load the computer blacks out and requires restart. When launching Witcher 3, about 10 seconds then blacks out. Same with furmark and other stress tests.

GTX 550 Ti

i5-2320

8gb ram

500W psu

Anything that could be wrong other than the thermal paste? Will change that ASAP

Could be power delivery issues, what brand PSU is it, and how old is it?

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 XX Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H97 Killer XX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory XX GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II XX Case: Phanteks Evolve ATX XX Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB SSD ; Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB HDD; Western Digital Caviar Blue 3TB HDD XX PSU: Thermaltake SMART 550W 80+ Bronze 

3 minutes ago, Farmall200 said:

Could be power delivery issues, what brand PSU is it, and how old is it?

Not certain, about 5 years old 500W psu... Had an 80+ sticker on it... Pretty much all I know

So by black, do you mean the system shuts down, or is it just the video, ex. if you were to play music then run a test that makes it crash, would the music keep playing, or is the whole system locking up?

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 XX Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H97 Killer XX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory XX GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II XX Case: Phanteks Evolve ATX XX Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB SSD ; Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB HDD; Western Digital Caviar Blue 3TB HDD XX PSU: Thermaltake SMART 550W 80+ Bronze 

Just now, Farmall200 said:

So by black, do you mean the system shuts down, or is it just the video, ex. if you were to play music then run a test that makes it crash, would the music keep playing, or is the whole system locking up?

The music starts repeating itself as if it crashed and video blacks out. Can not do anything

Sounds like an entire system lockup, sounds like the PSU is either not delivering enough power, or a cable has come loose. I would check all power connectors on all hardware, to make sure their seated correctly.

Sounds like an entire system lockup, sounds like the PSU is either not delivering enough power, or a cable has come loose. I would check all power connectors on all hardware, to make sure their seated correctly.

He could play everything fine about a month ago... Also it is a prebuilt system with a OEM psu

hmm, what are the temps on the GPU? do they spike right before it locks up? 

hmm, what are the temps on the GPU? do they spike right before it locks up? 

46 degrees second before blacking out

3 minutes ago, Spets said:

46 degrees second before blacking out

Thats perfectly fine, so I think we can rule out temps as being any sort of cause. if the computer is at idle, does it just sit there, or will it eventually go black?

Thats perfectly fine, so I think we can rule out temps as being any sort of cause. if the computer is at idle, does it just sit there, or will it eventually go black?

Completely fine without load.

I'm thinking its the PSU. its already an off brand, coupled with it being so old, and being so close to how much the system could potentially draw, it wouldn't surprise me if the capacitors have degraded to the point to where the PSU can no longer output enough power. Do you have a PSU you can take out of another system and test it?

I'm thinking its the PSU. its already an off brand, coupled with it being so old, and being so close to how much the system could potentially draw, it wouldn't surprise me if the capacitors have degraded to the point to where the PSU can no longer output enough power. Do you have a PSU you can take out of another system and test it?

Yep, will do that but do you not think it could be removing the GPU cooler and not replacing thermal paste?

2 minutes ago, Spets said:

Yep, will do that but do you not think it could be removing the GPU cooler and not replacing thermal paste?

The temps you gave me don't indicate that, now if it had gotten up into the high 80's- low 90's, then I would say that it was that for sure. You can try adding new thermal paste, but no guarantee's its going to do much of anything

1 minute ago, Farmall200 said:

The temps you gave me don't indicate that, now if it had gotten up into the high 80's- low 90's, then I would say that it was that for sure. You can try adding new thermal paste, but no guarantee's its going to do much of anything

Okay, I will see on monday... Thanks for the help though

2 minutes ago, Spets said:

Okay, I will see on monday... Thanks for the help though

No problem, sorry I couldn't help more, maybe someone else might post with another suggestion. Do post when you figure it out though

No problem, sorry I couldn't help more, maybe someone else might post with another suggestion. Do post when you figure it out though

Yeah, sure thing

On 4/15/2017 at 9:04 PM, Farmall200 said:

Power delivery issue on the GPU, tried with a gtx 1060 and worked wonders. He will purchase a new card soon. In the meanwhile I strapped an extra fan to the gpu and it ran for longer. Also underclocked it a bit