What Linux Distro to use?

Go to solution Solved by NinJake,

Lubuntu comes to mind

My school required all of us to purchase chromebooks off them a few years ago, but my keyboard is breaking (couple of keys are very unresponsive) and im finding my self needing a windows machine more and more during school. I want to dual boot linux and windows on my laptop (dell inspiron 15z) as my laptop doesn't have the battery life to last the day running windows. I was originally planning on installing Neverware, which is essentially chrome OS, but i couldn't get the install to work (found sources saying my laptop isnt compatible without a modded BIOS). 

What Linux Distro should i use instead? Im looking for something light weight to maximize battery life, and all it really needs is basic web browsing support (something somewhat similar to Chrome OS). 

Thanks!

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

I really , really like ubuntu .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

4 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Lubuntu comes to mind

4 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I really , really like ubuntu .

3 minutes ago, GoldenEagle said:

I would say Ubuntu

Sounds good, I've used ubuntu a bit in the past. Il try out lubuntu, if I don't like it il just use ubuntu. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Check out the lubuntu website. They claim it's more suited towards "energy-efficiency".

You wanted to conserve battery life, and it has firefox built in. Win-win!

Ubuntu is a good beginners distro.. but far from energy efficient *heh*. But if you go the Ubuntu route, then Lubuntu is the lightest one of them all. (with official support)

If you want something like Chrome OS, then you can use the Opensource version called "Chromium OS" that "Chrome OS" is based on :-)

42 minutes ago, pmos said:

Ubuntu is a good beginners distro.. but far from energy efficient *heh*. But if you go the Ubuntu route, then Lubuntu is the lightest one of them all. (with official support)

If you want something like Chrome OS, then you can use the Opensource version called "Chromium OS" that "Chrome OS" is based on :-)

Yeah, I'm aware of chromium os. The  neverware distro I tried was a version of chromium os, I may try again. 

4 hours ago, bgibbz said:

My school required all of us to purchase chromebooks off them a few years ago, but my keyboard is breaking (couple of keys are very unresponsive) and im finding my self needing a windows machine more and more during school. I want to dual boot linux and windows on my laptop (dell inspiron 15z) as my laptop doesn't have the battery life to last the day running windows. I was originally planning on installing Neverware, which is essentially chrome OS, but i couldn't get the install to work (found sources saying my laptop isnt compatible without a modded BIOS). 

What Linux Distro should i use instead? Im looking for something light weight to maximize battery life, and all it really needs is basic web browsing support (something somewhat similar to Chrome OS). 

Thanks!

if you're used to the windows UI and but want to give linux a shot, try mint. If it had a motto, it'd probably be something like: "i like the way windows looks but i want to try linux" here's a download link: https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php:) 

11 hours ago, bgibbz said:

Yeah, I'm aware of chromium os. The  neverware distro I tried was a version of chromium os, I may try again. 

If you are adventurous you can also try out Remix OS that is android based :-)

5 hours ago, pmos said:

If you are adventurous you can also try out Remix OS that is android based :-)

Il give it a try, i have never used android before though. 

2 hours ago, bgibbz said:

Il give it a try, i have never used android before though. 

That distro is basicly like an android tablet, just that you can use it like a desktop :-)