Having problems with AP router

Hi guys,

so i wanted to have full Wi-fi signal through my entire apartment, so i took my old router and turned it into AP mode. So now i have the main DHCP router sending signal in one room, and the other AP router connected to it and sending the signal in the other room. But i also have a PC in this room that i want to connect via cable. So i just connected the PC to this AP router via cable. And this all worked for a while, tested the net both on PC, and Wi-fi with my phone in both rooms and it worked perfectly.

But then i tried connecting my other phone to the Wi-fi, and it would just connect to wi-fi but have no internet access. Then i tried with my mothers phone, and it would either turn all phones off the internet (they are all still connected to the wi-fi), or one of them would work and the others wouldn't. The PC worked tho (LAN connection), but at times it would have issues too. I guess because of all router reseting i did while trying to figure out what is happening with the wi-fi.

I've drawn the whole connection (poorly i must add xD) in the pic in the attachment. I though maybe it's because this other router loses it's router functions when on AP mode, but then why does the LAN work and not wi-fi? What is it that causes the whole thing to collapse when i try connecting more phones on wi-fi?

ap.png

16 hours ago, SenGa said:

Hi guys,

so i wanted to have full Wi-fi signal through my entire apartment, so i took my old router and turned it into AP mode. So now i have the main DHCP router sending signal in one room, and the other AP router connected to it and sending the signal in the other room. But i also have a PC in this room that i want to connect via cable. So i just connected the PC to this AP router via cable. And this all worked for a while, tested the net both on PC, and Wi-fi with my phone in both rooms and it worked perfectly.

But then i tried connecting my other phone to the Wi-fi, and it would just connect to wi-fi but have no internet access. Then i tried with my mothers phone, and it would either turn all phones off the internet (they are all still connected to the wi-fi), or one of them would work and the others wouldn't. The PC worked tho (LAN connection), but at times it would have issues too. I guess because of all router reseting i did while trying to figure out what is happening with the wi-fi.

I've drawn the whole connection (poorly i must add xD) in the pic in the attachment. I though maybe it's because this other router loses it's router functions when on AP mode, but then why does the LAN work and not wi-fi? What is it that causes the whole thing to collapse when i try connecting more phones on wi-fi?

ap.png

LAN is working because the four LAN port on the back is basically a "dumb switch" AFAIK. So i assume you connected the LAN cable from the main router into one of the LAN ports on the AP router. Are both routers on the same range(for instance 192.168.1.X)?

21 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

LAN is working because the four LAN port on the back is basically a "dumb switch" AFAIK. So i assume you connected the LAN cable from the main router into one of the LAN ports on the AP router. Are both routers on the same range(for instance 192.168.1.X)?

Well that's the thing i didn't quite understand. I've used ipcofig to see IPs of both routers. The first one is 192.168.0.1, and the second one is 192.168.1.1 (this is when it's reset on factory settings). Now i know that the AP router should have a static IP in the IP range of the first one, right? So i checked the range of the first one, and this is what it says:

Start IP - 192.168.0.100
End IP - 192.168.0.199

I've seen on a video that only the last digit should be changed in the AP router, and that it should be the number somewhere near the end IP. So i just changed the last one to 192.168.0.170. Did i do right?

I turned off the DHCP on the AP router of course.

Yep they have to be on the same range, but static IP's should be out of the DHCP's address range. Give the second one the next IP above the main routers address. In this case that is 192.168.0.2 . The rest seems to be good. Its odd that the phones dont work in this configuration...

Lets try this if you can disable the AP router's firewall. Main router remains on the same address range but the AP router will e on 192.168.1.x and its address will be 192.168.1.1 . Plug a cable into one of the main touters LAN ports and then the other end into the WAN port of the AP router. Give a static IP for the AP routers WAN port(for instance 192.168.0.2) and then look for an option called routing(or static routes or something similar) in your main router and add a new route(im using the names on my own routers WebUI so yours could be called something else):

target 192.168.1.0

netmask 255.255.255.0

gateway: 192.168.0.2

The only drawback of this is that the devices connected to the AP router wont be able to find media servers and other stuff on the main routers network using UPNP.

14 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Yep they have to be on the same range, but static IP's should be out of the DHCP's address range. Give the second one the next IP above the main routers address. In this case that is 192.168.0.2 . The rest seems to be good. Its odd that the phones dont work in this configuration...

Lets try this if you can disable the AP router's firewall. Main router remains on the same address range but the AP router will e on 192.168.1.x and its address will be 192.168.1.1 . Plug a cable into one of the main touters LAN ports and then the other end into the WAN port of the AP router. Give a static IP for the AP routers WAN port(for instance 192.168.0.2) and then look for an option called routing(or static routes or something similar) in your main router and add a new route(im using the names on my own routers WebUI so yours could be called something else):

target 192.168.1.0

netmask 255.255.255.0

gateway: 192.168.0.2

The only drawback of this is that the devices connected to the AP router wont be able to find media servers and other stuff on the main routers network using UPNP.

Tried with 192.168.0.2 on the AP router now, and again the same thing. LAN works, i managed to connect one phone, worked fine. Then i tried with the other one, and while it was connecting to the wi-fi it said "Failed to acquire IP address". Then both of the phones wouldn't even connect to the wi-fi.

This is the AP wi-fi tho. The one on the main router works on all three phones perfectly. This is progress i guess. Last time both wi-fis had the same problem.