X299 platform

23 hours ago, Enderman said:

Skylake E isn't even here yet...

So you're going to be waiting a loooong time before you see any kaby lake E chips.

The rumours are that Intel will be releasing the high core Skylake-E, and a couple of low core Kabylake-E processors on the same X299 platform simultaneously, possibly this year (so I would guess March/April 2018). The rumours are very different to what the market has come to expect from Intels HEDT platform, which hints that either they are complete bullshit, or Intel is changing their strategy in the HEDT platform to compensate for the stagnating architectural improvements.

From the specs, those rumoured Kabylake-E processors will basically be a slightly more expensive 7700K which requires a more expensive motherboard. There may be some very niche situations where this would be useful, but not for general consumers. Waiting for one of those chips over the currently available Kabylake makes zero sense IMO.

8 hours ago, DrMikeNZ said:

The rumours are that Intel will be releasing the high core Skylake-E, and a couple of low core Kabylake-E processors on the same X299 platform simultaneously, possibly this year (so I would guess March/April 2018). The rumours are very different to what the market has come to expect from Intels HEDT platform, which hints that either they are complete bullshit, or Intel is changing their strategy in the HEDT platform to compensate for the stagnating architectural improvements.

From the specs, those rumoured Kabylake-E processors will basically be a slightly more expensive 7700K which requires a more expensive motherboard. There may be some very niche situations where this would be useful, but not for general consumers. Waiting for one of those chips over the currently available Kabylake makes zero sense IMO.

I for one am pretty excited about the rumor mill on this one.  The 4 core part is rumored to be a higher rated TDP then the 7700k, which hints at even higher clock speeds.

The ability to swap between a 10 core beast and a smaller, but faster 4 core part based on needs it pretty cool.  A great deal of people who buy Intel Extreme series CPUs and platforms are benchmarkers at heart.  Being able to use the right chip for the benchmark at hand changes the game. 

Even if the 4 core part doesn't happen, x299 is going to be remarkable if they manage to deliver 10 core parts with current Skylake/Kaby Lake IPC.  Combine that with the fact that Intel Extreme parts generally overclock well and the performance gain should be very nice over current Extreme/x99 offerings.

23 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

The 4 core part is rumored to be a higher rated TDP then the 7700k, which hints at even higher clock speeds.

The rumoured stock clock speed was only a tiny bit higher than the 7700K, and most people overclock it throwing the clock and TDP out the window. I imagine that would overclock to give the same performance within margin of error.

25 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

The ability to swap between a 10 core beast and a smaller, but faster 4 core part based on needs it pretty cool.  A great deal of people who buy Intel Extreme series CPUs and platforms are benchmarkers at heart.  Being able to use the right chip for the benchmark at hand changes the game.

If you are buying 2 HEDT processors, you may as well just buy 2 systems and just have them both running IMO.

1 minute ago, DrMikeNZ said:

The rumoured stock clock speed was only a tiny bit higher than the 7700K, and most people overclock it throwing the clock and TDP out the window. I imagine that would overclock to give the same performance within margin of error.

I understand how TDP works.  The fact that they gave it a higher TDP is an indicator of possible higher OC overhead.  That's what we are interested in.  Nobody who'd buy this type of part for use with an Extreme platform is really interested in stock clocks.  OC headroom is what we are looking for.

1 minute ago, DrMikeNZ said:

If you are buying 2 HEDT processors, you may as well just buy 2 systems and just have them both running IMO.

I already do that.