Thunderbolt 2 compatible

Azoric

Hey all,

I really need a bit of help which i am sure one of you will be able to but i just can't find the answer...

So.. i am in the process of building a 7700K system coming from a Mac environment for many years. I have a Thunderbolt eternal hard drive array which has all of my work and is used for backups which i am going to constantly need access to when i do switch to windows in the next couple of weeks but i seem to not be able to find a what to be able to utilise the drive. I can't find a MOBO which supports it which i am not surprised about and i can't seem to find an adaptor which would do the job. I have come across TB2 to USB type C adaptors but they are USB types C TB3 so i don't think that would work. I have come across 2 MOBOs which support TB (one Asus through a header and an ASrock) but tbh i don't really want those boards, plus the Asus board requires a TB card then i would need to get an additional adaptor regardless anyway to convert TB2 to TB3 Type C.

Can anyone shine some light on this for me?

Here is a link to the drive i am using. G-Tech drive

Thank you!

I have two questions for you:

1) Is your drive formated for OSX only? Because if it is you should make sure that you are aware of that and you will need additional paid software in order to access it on Windows without reformating.

2) Would you be willing to go to an older processor generation? The problem is that Thunderbolt 2 is now outdated and you would need to use an adpater.

additionally if you found a motherboard with thunderbolt 3 type C - this adapter should work just fine.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1294286&gclid=CjwKEAiAi-_FBRCZyPm_14CjoyASJAClUigOwqBs04SnrKvYGjOAjHMkeG5mcNYX4eepgGSfSVyxwBoCAqLw_wcB&is=REG&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C92051677682%2C&Q=&A=details

Thank you for the replies. You confirmed what i had thought which is annoying.

@lieder1987 It is partitioned for mac but that isn't a problem as i can take all the data off to partition it for windows and then transfer it back over my network. I already have the processor so that isn't really an option.

@COUPER MILLAR yeah that is what i have been thinking but the mobo' which do have it aren't that appealing to me just for the sake of TB support.

I may just end up getting another array which would solve my issues but didn't want to do that if i could help it.

Thank you both though!

11 minutes ago, Azoric said:

I may just end up getting another array which would solve my issues but didn't want to do that if i could help it.

Yeah a 3.1 hard drive is going to have good speeds, and they will be way faster than a drive you can't access at all :).

6 minutes ago, lieder1987 said:

Yeah a 3.1 hard drive is going to have good speeds, and they will be way faster than a drive you can't access at all :).

Lol so true!