Add new internet conection?...

TommyTheHeist

Hey! First of all, sorry if this is a wrong section because I havent decided if it is a troubleshooting or should i post to networking.. ;D Anyway, here is the deal. I use a router for wifi but then my ports are blocked so in order to host a server so that anyone else could join, I just switch cables and then its fine. (disconnect main internet cable from router and connect directly to PC, im too lazy to port forward) IP changes from 192 to 78.xxxxxxxxx and everyone can join. You could think where is the problem? So here is the problem. When I had windows 7, when I switched the cables, windows detected that as a new internet connection so I had two of them and whenever I switched cables it started using other network connection and switching cables went without problems. Sometimes even when talking on skype my friends didnt realise that I was "offline" for a two seconds or so.. But now on win10, it does not detect any new connections so when I switch cables from router directly to my pc it takes A LOOOONG time to identify that connection, sometimes few minutes, sometimes I get "unidientified network" error, disabling and enabling network device trough control panel does not help, release and renew does not help... Soooo I was thinking maby there is a way to add new network connection or do something about it? Im not sure but i *think* that long time ago i had no problems on Win10 too.. Can I do something about this or should I just flip the table while saying F***K THAT and start port forwarding?

5 minutes ago, TommyTheHeist said:

Hey! First of all, sorry if this is a wrong section because I havent decided if it is a troubleshooting or should i post to networking.. ;D Anyway, here is the deal. I use a router for wifi but then my ports are blocked so in order to host a server so that anyone else could join, I just switch cables and then its fine. (disconnect main internet cable from router and connect directly to PC, im too lazy to port forward) IP changes from 192 to 78.xxxxxxxxx and everyone can join. You could think where is the problem? So here is the problem. When I had windows 7, when I switched the cables, windows detected that as a new internet connection so I had two of them and whenever I switched cables it started using other network connection and switching cables went without problems. Sometimes even when talking on skype my friends didnt realise that I was "offline" for a two seconds or so.. But now on win10, it does not detect any new connections so when I switch cables from router directly to my pc it takes A LOOOONG time to identify that connection, sometimes few minutes, sometimes I get "unidientified network" error, disabling and enabling network device trough control panel does not help, release and renew does not help... Soooo I was thinking maby there is a way to add new network connection or do something about it? Im not sure but i *think* that long time ago i had no problems on Win10 too.. Can I do something about this or should I just flip the table while saying F***K THAT and start port forwarding?

start port forwarding    http://www.pcworld.com/article/244314/how_to_forward_ports_on_your_router.html

I edit my messages often. Please refresh for the latest message.

I am not always on the same thread. Tag or Quote me to get my attention.

Remember to Mark the solution to help others in the future.

SFF

CPU: R7 3700x

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x570-i

RAM: Corsair vengeance 64GB 3200MHz CL16

Cooler: Asetek 645LT

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 AERO

Case: Dan Case A4

Storage: 2TB Sabrent (PCI-E 3.0) - Windows

Storage: 1TB Crucial P5 Plus (PCIE 4.0) - Fedora

Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO (SATA) - Steam

10 minutes ago, TommyTheHeist said:

You do understand that if you DONT port forward the whole internet is pounding directly on your PC's firewall and not the firewall of a router/modem designed to protect you, yes?

Anyway ... with any semi decent modern modem/router setting up port forwarding is easy (once you understand the concept) - just give your PC a static (fixed) address on your internal network.

Literally port forward, it super bad not to have some sort of firewall or anything before you. Heres a direct guide on how to. https://portforward.com/router.htm

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

oh, didn thought that I lose some protection if I use no router.. Ok I guess I will start doing so