New laptop for gaming+school

Hi LTT community,

I am currently on an ASUS UX305FA which has a mediocre Intel Core M5Y10c with Integrated HD Graphics 5300. I would like to ask for suggestions on a new laptop for both school and gaming, though I am aware that there is a scare supply of ultrabooks with discrete graphics on the market. Below is my main workload:

Work: Document processing, light video editing, browsing

Gaming: CS:GO, Minecraft, etc.

Parameters: at least an i5 dual-core (U version is OK), 8 GB RAM, at least 128GB SSD with 1TB HDD or 256GB SSD standalone, 13.3 inch body and weight <2kg

Feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Biggest thing is what your budget is. Typically you can trust products from brands such as Asus, Lenovo, Razer etc. I will warn you though that finding a laptop with both an ssd and a physical spinning hard disk will be very difficult. Typically new laptops are using only solid state storage to save space and weight.

I bought this laptop: https://www.amazon.com/K501UW-AB78-15-6-inch-Full-HD-Gaming-Glacier/dp/B01DT49XN8/ref=dp_ob_title_ce 

for my wife last year and it's great for the light to medium gaming that she does along with all of her work/school requirements.

For school, I made the biggest mistake when I bought a 'slim, and at the time (lighter than most), gaming laptop'. I took it with me everywhere, it was light weight for a gaming laptop but it was still heavy af after a long period. For school, I would highly suggest scrapping the idea of buying a gaming laptop and getting a very light weight notebook or 2 in 1 and consider building a desktop. That's just my opinion... my 2 year experience with a MSi Stealth mid 2015. It was a beast in gaming.

29 minutes ago, lolz said:

Hi LTT community,

I am currently on an ASUS UX305FA which has a mediocre Intel Core M5Y10c with Integrated HD Graphics 5300. I would like to ask for suggestions on a new laptop for both school and gaming, though I am aware that there is a scare supply of ultrabooks with discrete graphics on the market. Below is my main workload:

Work: Document processing, light video editing, browsing

Gaming: CS:GO, Minecraft, etc.

Parameters: at least an i5 dual-core (U version is OK), 8 GB RAM, at least 128GB SSD with 1TB HDD or 256GB SSD standalone, 13.3 inch body and weight <2kg

Feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

The Blade Stealth series of laptops should also be very good

2 hours ago, MisterMuffin said:

Biggest thing is what your budget is. Typically you can trust products from brands such as Asus, Lenovo, Razer etc. I will warn you though that finding a laptop with both an ssd and a physical spinning hard disk will be very difficult. Typically new laptops are using only solid state storage to save space and weight.

I bought this laptop: https://www.amazon.com/K501UW-AB78-15-6-inch-Full-HD-Gaming-Glacier/dp/B01DT49XN8/ref=dp_ob_title_ce 

for my wife last year and it's great for the light to medium gaming that she does along with all of her work/school requirements.

thanks! but actually I would like a 13 inch laptop, and you mentioned that finding a laptop with both an SSD and an HDD will be hard, well in truth i just need an SSD.

I actually have an idea in mind -- ASUS UX310UQ or 410UQ. could u tell me whether they r gd or not and whether u would recommend them? thanks