Dxtory recording causing odd game performance problems

Hello, all!

For the last couple of days I've been trying to record some game footage, more specifically from F.E.A.R., a first-person shooter from 2005, using the recording program Dxtory. I bought it largely because of its customisability, which would allow me to troubleshoot stuff and allow me to record stuff in a way that strikes a balance between quality and efficiency.

Now, there has been a weird problem I've been having. I'm currently aiming to record at 1920x1080 at 60fps, and I have been recording to my SSD since my other hard drives are either too full or too slow.

With Dxtory enabled but not recording, it manages 1080/60 no problem. It runs perfectly smoothly, no issues, no dips.

With Dxtory recording, I get through the intro just fine, but the moment you take some semblance of control is when the frame rate drops to 30fps, and even lower as I progress further to 20, perhaps 15fps. And even more bizarre, after stopping recording, the gameplay would be equally slow.

Now, I've used a small array of codecs, those being (in order of use):

• Lagarith Lossless Codec
  • UtVideo YUV420 BT.709 VCM
  • MagicYUV Lossless v1.2 and
  • x264vfw H.264/MPEG-4 AVC

I've tried changing the number of threads being used by Dxtory, changing the settings in each of the codecs according to the recommendations to those who have recommended by individuals doing this on newer games, and despite making no changes to the graphics settings (since my hardware far exceeds the standards of what the game was expected to run on at the time), it's becoming very confusing to me.

Upon request I will provide the settings I have been using on an individual basis to see if that helps, but as it stands, I'm at a loss. And it seems to be specific to F.E.A.R., as I'm not experiencing the same issues with any other game. I've tested this in Half-Life 2 and it has no issue with it. And if you wish to find what my setup is, check the sig.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

That's on odd issue. Took a look at your specs and I can't see anything that would bottleneck it.

Have you tried using other recording software? If not, give it a go and tell us if it's the same issue.

2 minutes ago, Schubaltz said:

That's on odd issue. Took a look at your specs and I can't see anything that would bottleneck it.

Have you tried using other recording software? If not, give it a go and tell us if it's the same issue.

I recently bought Fraps to see if that made any difference, and it actually performed worse. Probably because of how it's trying to manage data or something...either way, no luck, and I don't exactly fancy purchasing something else.

DAYTONA

8 minutes ago, daniellearmouth said:

I recently bought Fraps to see if that made any difference, and it actually performed worse. Probably because of how it's trying to manage data or something...either way, no luck, and I don't exactly fancy purchasing something else.

Try OBS, it's very popular for both streaming and recording. It's also free!

1 minute ago, Schubaltz said:

Try OBS, it's very popular for both streaming and recording. It's also free!

I shall give that a shot at some point tomorrow, since it's getting a bit late now. Dunno why I didn't think of that...

I'll report back on what happens at some point tomorrow.

DAYTONA