Malware and Windows Firewall

Phieus

So after various hours of trying to solve my ongoing Windows Updates problem I came across my Windows Firewall settings and it turns out it was off. Ok, I'll switch it back on... turns out it's not that simple and something is preventing the Firewall service from starting and staying on. I ran a scan using MalwareBytes and Windows Defender. Defender came up clean and MalwareBytes had 6 hits, so I deleted those and restarted... Windows Firewall still won't start and Updates still continue to fail. 

So a month of figuring out a solution to my problems I'm still at square one with nowhere left to turn. I don't have any form of install media for Windows or anyway to make a disc (MacBook Pro 2016 and no optical drive on the PC). And I would rather not re-install if possible but if it is the last resort then so be it.

Any and all help is appreciated

:)

I do believe in a god: Libertina, the goddess of the sea, apple pie, certain types of ice cream and short bits of string.

Win 7 - 10?

And I suggest you get yourself some some proper AV/Firewall software.

1 minute ago, 3EP said:

Win 7 - 10?

And I suggest you get yourself some some proper AV/Firewall software.

I'm on Windows 10

Which AntiVirus/Firewall do you suggest? Is Avast! a good one? I Normally stick with Windows Defender/Firewall, as does my friend who works in the IT industry, they have served me well for over 3 years.

I do believe in a god: Libertina, the goddess of the sea, apple pie, certain types of ice cream and short bits of string.

Well i never used Windows Defender, the first think i do is Disable it, its useless , and if you have any issues run in Safe Mode, and scan it with Kaspersky TDSSKiller and  then with Malwarebytes and HitmaPro, and AV/Firewall depends what you want.

Best Regards,

Anker_by

10 minutes ago, Phieus said:

I'm on Windows 10

Which AntiVirus/Firewall do you suggest? Is Avast! a good one? I Normally stick with Windows Defender/Firewall, as does my friend who works in the IT industry, they have served me well for over 3 years.

Try what is suggested here: http://windowsreport.com/cant-activate-firewall-windows-10/

The malware may have messed up your operating system.

If you use the internet all the time then I suggest you get some proper protection as malware and viruses have become increasingly advanced. Pick any AV software you like as long as it isn't free, Kaspersky is top class software apparently.

And your friend in the IT industry should know better. Having no proper AV/firewall is like leaving you front door open and allowing strangers to go through your personal belongings.

Nothing wrong with recommending windows defender. its often a lot smarter than the user

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

20 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Nothing wrong with recommending windows defender. its often a lot smarter than the user

It's basically a stop gap for real AV/Firewall software and constantly fails to detect 0 day exploits.

I'm still astounded people don't educate themselves about the risks of unprotected PC use.