Smoke coming from the CPU

So I was finishing my rig, and when I turned it on it started smoking like hell, I swapped out my old AIO for the Kraken X62, I removed the pre-applied thermalpaste, applied Arctic Silver 5, connected all the cables, and it turned on, all fans spinning, AIO Pumping but smoke suddenly appeared, I immidiately turned off the PC, removed the heatsink, and removed the thermal paste on both the CPU and Heatsink and I checked the socket and CPU backside and frontside, there seems to be no burning on it, only some slight discoloration on the metal frame of the socket near the retention arms. 

I have no idea what caused this but I'm too freaked out to even turn my PC now, and I'll have to wait for tommorow to get me some more thermal paste since I used the last bit earlier. Any idea what caused this? There was no plastic thing on the heatsink if anyone is wondering

Intel i7-5820K, MSI X99 SLI Plus, ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB-DDR4, Corsair HX1200i, NZXT Kraken X62, Corsair Crystal 570x.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Paradox said:

So I was finishing my rig, and when I turned it on it started smoking like hell, I swapped out my old AIO for the Kraken X62, I removed the pre-applied thermalpaste, applied Arctic Silver 5, connected all the cables, and it turned on, all fans spinning, AIO Pumping but smoke suddenly appeared, I immidiately turned off the PC, removed the heatsink, and removed the thermal paste on both the CPU and Heatsink and I checked the socket and CPU backside and frontside, there seems to be no burning on it, only some slight discoloration on the metal frame of the socket near the retention arms. 

I have no idea what caused this but I'm too freaked out to even turn my PC now, and I'll have to wait for tommorow to get me some more thermal paste since I used the last bit earlier. Any idea what caused this? There was no plastic thing on the heatsink if anyone is wondering

What does the smoke smell like? Did you remember to remove the plastic cover on the new cooler?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

i cant imagine the sudden panic that you've must gone through LOL! (its not funny i know)...

where did the smoke come from? the pump or the cpu bracket?

Current Build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K at 4.8Ghz CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 AIO Motherboard: gigabyte Z270X ultra gaming 

Memory: Trident Z rgb 16gb 3000Mhz
Storage: Samsung 250GB SSD Storage2: sandisk ultra II 960gb SSD Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 O8G STRIX  

Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400

Power Supply: Corsair RM650X Fans: 2x 120mm NZXT Aer rgb LEDcontroller: NZXT Hue+ LEDstrip: cablemod hybrid-LED/UV 60Cm

peripherals:

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Gamepad: Razer Tartarus Mouse: Razer Mamba TE 2015 Chroma Headphones: Logitech G533 Wireless

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM Monitor1: AOC Q2577PWQ 2560X1440 OC'ed to 75 Hz Monitor2: LG 25UM57-P 25.0" 2560x1080 OC'ed to 75Hz 

PCpartpicker list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qt76xY

My laptop: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-VN7-571G-50VG-Notebook-Computer-i5-5200U/dp/B01CL50JV6

Quote:

If you really want it, go get it.

Does the board or CPU smell of burnt electrics? Was the pump plugged in aswell as the fan? This sounds bad :S

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

What does the smoke smell like? Did you remember to remove the plastic cover on the new cooler?

The smoke didn't smell like plastic melting or burning as far as I can recall. I can't really explain it.

Intel i7-5820K, MSI X99 SLI Plus, ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB-DDR4, Corsair HX1200i, NZXT Kraken X62, Corsair Crystal 570x.

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

theres no plastic on the x62. i know this because i just recently installed a x62 yesterday.

Current Build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K at 4.8Ghz CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 AIO Motherboard: gigabyte Z270X ultra gaming 

Storage: Samsung 250GB SSD Storage2: sandisk ultra II 960gb SSD Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 O8G STRIX  

Power Supply: Corsair RM650X Fans: 2x 120mm NZXT Aer rgb LEDcontroller: NZXT Hue+ LEDstrip: cablemod hybrid-LED/UV 60Cm

peripherals:

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Gamepad: Razer Tartarus Mouse: Razer Mamba TE 2015 Chroma Headphones: Logitech G533 Wireless

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM Monitor1: AOC Q2577PWQ 2560X1440 OC'ed to 75 Hz Monitor2: LG 25UM57-P 25.0" 2560x1080 OC'ed to 75Hz 

My laptop: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-VN7-571G-50VG-Notebook-Computer-i5-5200U/dp/B01CL50JV6

Quote:

Just now, TommyW2061 said:

i cant imagine the sudden panic that you've must gone through LOL! (its not funny i know)...

where did the smoke come from? the pump or the cpu bracket?

Definitely the CPU itself. 

1 minute ago, Mr.Paradox said:

Definitely the CPU itself. 

okay. did you hear any weird noise coming from the system when the smoking occured?

Current Build:

peripherals:

Quote:

If you're sure the smoke was coming from under the cpu heatsink and you can see no burned areas it was probably some residue on the cpu, although I would not discount the possibility of something else being the cause while not being immediately evident.

Check your motherboard very carefully for any signs of burning. Clean the cpu frame and the heatsink with alcohol and fiberless cloth, making sure no residue is left from previous thermal paste or anything else. Try turning on the computer without the heatsink - it will be just fine for a few minutes even without cooling, leave the AIO fan header plugged in so it runs as well - see if you can spot any smoke and if you can pinpoint its source more accurately.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

okay. did you hear any weird noise coming from the system when the smoking occured?

Not that I recall I was kinda in panic so I can't remember everything that well. There is no smoke scent left in the room though.

Just now, Sauron said:

If you're sure the smoke was coming from under the cpu heatsink and you can see no burned areas it was probably some residue on the cpu, although I would not discount the possibility of something else being the cause while not being immediately evident.

Check your motherboard very carefully for any signs of burning. Clean the cpu frame and the heatsink with alcohol and fiberless cloth, making sure no residue is left from previous thermal paste or anything else. Try turning on the computer without the heatsink - it will be just fine for a few minutes even without cooling, leave the AIO fan header plugged in so it runs as well - see if you can spot any smoke and if you can pinpoint its source more accurately.

I'm kinda freaked about turning it on without thermal paste though

Not that I recall I was kinda in panic so I can't remember everything that well. There is no smoke scent left in the room though.

well theres nothing more you can do now since you have no more thermal compound left... what might've happend that some of the thermal past got between the cpu and the socket and that might've burned... idk. its hard to tell. and i can imagine the panic.

Current Build:

peripherals:

Quote:

well theres nothing more you can do now since you have no more thermal compound left... what might've happend that some of the thermal past got between the cpu and the socket and that might've burned... idk. its hard to tell. and i can imagine the panic.

I'm going to turn it on for a couple of seconds, and see if the smoke reappears.

5 minutes ago, Mr.Paradox said:

I'm kinda freaked about turning it on without thermal paste though

Don't worry, it's perfectly safe as long as you don't boot up and run something intensive. The paste only serves to connect the cpu to the heatsink, it has no dissipation properties of its own. You only need to have it run for a few seconds to see if it smokes, it will be fine. I've done it more than once, never came close to dangerous temperatures in bios.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Don't worry, it's perfectly safe as long as you don't boot up and run something intensive. The paste only serves to connect the cpu to the heatsink, it has no dissipation properties of its own. You only need to have it run for a few seconds to see if it smokes, it will be fine. I've done it more than once, never came close to dangerous temperatures in bios.

I think I isolated the issue. The burning comes from one of the USB hubs on the motherboard, the cable is enourmously warm

I think I isolated the issue. The burning comes from one of the USB hubs on the motherboard, the cable is enourmously warm

Does it still smoke if you unplug that cable?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Does it still smoke if you unplug that cable?

Nope it doesn't I removed the cable from the Kraken and mobo and the burning stopped.

6 minutes ago, Mr.Paradox said:

Nope it doesn't I removed the cable from the Kraken and mobo and the burning stopped.

I think we found our issue, there must be something shorting out inside that cable or on the usb header itself. If you have another cable to try that could tell us if it is the motherboard or not. If it is the motherboard return it as DOA and get a replacement.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

I think we found our issue, there must be something shorting out inside that cable or on the usb header itself. If you have another cable to try that could tell us if it is the motherboard or not. If it is the motherboard return it as DOA and get a replacement.

I'll hook up my Hue+ On it and seewhat happens. Though I first had my Corsair H115i USB cable on it and it worked fine this afternoon.

Just now, Sauron said:

I tested the Hue+ on the same header, the smoking ceased immidiately. Should I avoid this header completely or just use a new USB cable?

5 minutes ago, Mr.Paradox said:

I tested the Hue+ on the same header, the smoking ceased immidiately. Should I avoid this header completely or just use a new USB cable?

If using a different device on that header does not produce smoke it seems clear the problem was with whatever was connected to it previously. It's probably just a faulty cable, replacing it should solve the issue. The header might have been damaged by the stress but it shouldn't be dangerous, I think you can keep using it.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

If using a different device on that header does not produce smoke it seems clear the problem was with whatever was connected to it previously. It's probably just a faulty cable, replacing it should solve the issue. The header might have been damaged by the stress but it shouldn't be dangerous, I think you can keep using it.

I actually used my corsair link cable for my H115i and it instantly worked.

3 minutes ago, Mr.Paradox said:

I actually used my corsair link cable for my H115i and it instantly worked.

then I'd say problem solved!

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 minutes ago, Sauron said:

then I'd say problem solved!

I'm completely paranoid now, I'm so afraid my PC is now going to catch fire when I stand up and leave or something. You sure using the header isn't dangerous?

If you have another header on your board, then you could use that to not be that much paranoid about it.