Help formatting hard drive

Yonotoi

I'm trying to format my hard drive via USB but It doesn't seem to be booting up to the USB despite me changing the bios booting order

3 minutes ago, Yonotoi said:

I'm trying to format my hard drive via USB but It doesn't seem to be booting up to the USB despite me changing the bios booting order

are you using a USB3.0 port or USB2.0 port?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Are you trying to install an OS to this drive that is connected via USB?  Or are you trying to add this as an extra drive to the system?  

Sounds like you're trying to make it boot to the drive via USB and it is not being recognized?

If you're doing it as an extra drive, you may need to go into Disk management and initialize the drive.

10 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

are you using a USB3.0 port or USB2.0 port?

I'm using USB 2.0

Just now, Yonotoi said:

I'm using USB 2.0

is Legacy Support turned on in BIOS?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

9 minutes ago, Doramius said:

Are you trying to install an OS to this drive that is connected via USB?  Or are you trying to add this as an extra drive to the system?  

Sounds like you're trying to make it boot to the drive via USB and it is not being recognized?

If you're doing it as an extra drive, you may need to go into Disk management and initialize the drive.

It is the only drive on my pc.  I'm trying to format it while it is being used. Since you can't do it through the windows menu I'm trying to do it via the USB using dban 

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

is Legacy Support turned on in BIOS?

Not sure 

8 minutes ago, Yonotoi said:

It is the only drive on my pc.  I'm trying to format it while it is being used. Since you can't do it through the windows menu I'm trying to do it via the USB using dban 

I'm still a little confused.  If it is the only drive in the system, why is it connected via USB.  Also, DBAN is generally best run live from a flash drive or from a disc.  do you have DABN installed on the same drive you're trying to format?  If that is the case, you may run into a few problems.

9 minutes ago, Doramius said:

I'm still a little confused.  If it is the only drive in the system, why is it connected via USB.  Also, DBAN is generally best run live from a flash drive or from a disc.  do you have DABN installed on the same drive you're trying to format?  If that is the case, you may run into a few problems.

No dban is installed in a flash drive. I'm using it to format the actual hard drive in my pc. I'm using the flash drive to format the hard drive 

So the main hard drive is NOT connected via USB.  I think that's where the confusion is coming.  It's sounding like that is how the main drive is connected.  So the DBAN is connected via USB, and you're trying to wipe the main drive?

If this is the setup, the most common issue I've come in contact with is that the flash drive was not formatted properly with the DBAN for booting.  OR  the flash drive is not connected to a proper port.  Proper port being 1 of the 2 USB ports directly under the ethernet port.  Why some mainboards do this is out of my understanding, but I guess it could have a little to do with being able to recognize certain peripherals right away???....  Not all mainboards do this, but Try using those ports, or even look for USB 2.0 ports.  Some mainboard recognize 3.0 at a different stage during POST.  Again, not all mainboards are like this, but there are many that do.