Specific Question about 4K and pixel peeking

FoxWarder

So I'm shopping around for a new monitor to pair with a GPU upgrade coming up whenever the Vega/1080ti ball drops in the next few months. I've done a fair bit of research but without the ability to visually investigate my question I'm a bit stuck. Hopefully someone around here can give a solid answer.

Background: http://www.pcgamer.com/how-many-frames-per-second-can-the-human-eye-really-see/

My game of choice these days is R6:Siege. For now I'm defaulting to the pg279q (ROG Swift). But after reading I've got a question about 4k.

Rainbow 6 Siege has an awful lot of pixel peaking. If you don't know what that is, then watch this video starting at the 4:10 mark for 10 seconds.

https://youtu.be/GkCWEWwARAg?t=249

Basically this game utilizes a lot of SUPER narrow angles. A common trick is to just shoot a few small bullet holes and then hold an angle looking through them with a 4x scope. You don't have to see the whole enemy, you just need to see a little of them.

Conventional wisdom is that higher refresh rates and low latency are more ideal for tracking targets and spotting motion. But IF the general take away from that PC Gamer article is accurate, the center of our eyes actually sucks at motion tracking in general and the higher refresh rates mostly benefit target acquisition at the edges of the screen, where our peripheral vision can actually notice the difference in refresh rates. While this is a common benefit in most shooters, Rainbow 6 is a little different. Much of the game is based around pre-determined fire angles and there isn't a whole lot of reflexive flicking going on (though obviously that does happen). In this game, the player is more often focused on a fixed location in the center of the screen waiting for a hint of movement. If an enemy appears in your periphery, it's usually way too late to do anything about it.

What is more helpful for pixel peeking: 4k or still 90hz+?

I'm still rocking 1200p 60hz and while I've heard slavish praise heaped on high refresh rates, I've never had the opportunity to see it for myself. The same can be said for 4K, at least in an ideal setting. I've seen 4K panels in shops but without necessarily seeing a game being played on them. Videos of Overwatch in a small window on the screen don't count, especially when I'm pretty sure the videos weren't captured in 4K. After tweaking the FoV on 4K, would I just get more pixels to observe, thus making it easier to see the detail of possible targets at ever greater ranges? Or would it be too negligible compared to 1440p and the benefits of 144hz would outweigh it still?

I like pictures. If someone wants to explain using even basic pictures I would appreciate it.