Need help with RAM

Hello, I have a predicament that I would like to have input on.

First a little background info on my situation. I am building a new x99 system with an RGB theme, I know a lot of you dislike RGB but I like the ability to change the color of my lights. I have got every component that I need but the ram. Around CES multiple manufacturers announced that they are coming out with RGB RAM kits, the one I am most interested in is the G.Skill Trident Z RGB and they are supposed to come out around mid to late January. I contacted the manufacturer and they informed me that only dual channel kits will be available at launch (January 25) and the quad kits will be coming later but they did not provide me with an exact release date. And I really want those DIMMs. So I was planning to get a cheaper kit now, with the same speed and potential timings (going off of their website) and get the RGB kit later

The RGB kit I want: http://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16q-32gtzr

The cheaper RAM i am considering: http://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c15q-16grkd

So now for my question:

1) Will I be able to use both at the same time once I get the RGB kit? (Would probably use the 16 GB kit as RAM storage)

2) Is getting 2 dual kits of the RGB RAM to see if they work together a viable option since i know they don't test them to work in quad channel?

3) Additional questions: a) What would I need to do to make it work?

b) Is there any other kits I could get now that would work with the RGB kit I want?

c) What are my other options besides just waiting for the quad kit?

Any feedback is appreciated.

4 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

You can mix RAM dimms to your heat's content, as long has they're both the same generation (DDR3, DDR4) and the same speed (2100 MHZ 2400MHz).

7 minutes ago, RexAevum said:

Spoiler

Hello, I have a predicament that I would like to have input on.

First a little background info on my situation. I am building a new x99 system with an RGB theme, I know a lot of you dislike RGB but I like the ability to change the color of my lights. I have got every component that I need but the ram. Around CES multiple manufacturers announced that they are coming out with RGB RAM kits, the one I am most interested in is the G.Skill Trident Z RGB and they are supposed to come out around mid to late January. I contacted the manufacturer and they informed me that only dual channel kits will be available at launch (January 25) and the quad kits will be coming later but they did not provide me with an exact release date. And I really want those DIMMs. So I was planning to get a cheaper kit now, with the same speed and potential timings (going off of their website) and get the RGB kit later

The RGB kit I want: http://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16q-32gtzr

The cheaper RAM i am considering: http://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c15q-16grkd

So now for my question:

1) Will I be able to use both at the same time once I get the RGB kit? (Would probably use the 16 GB kit as RAM storage)

2) Is getting 2 dual kits of the RGB RAM to see if they work together a viable option since i know they don't test them to work in quad channel?

3) Additional questions: a) What would I need to do to make it work?

b) Is there any other kits I could get now that would work with the RGB kit I want?

c) What are my other options besides just waiting for the quad kit?

Any feedback is appreciated.

You can mix different RAM all you want, as long as it is the same generation (DDR3/DDR4). if you mix speeds all DIMMs will run at the lower speed. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

2 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

You can mix RAM dimms to your heat's content, as long has they're both the same generation (DDR3, DDR4) and the same speed (2100 MHZ 2400MHz).

Is it really that easy, I am asking because i have read that even the same manufacturer sometimes uses different components to make the same kind of ram and the secondary timings might be different so it can lead to instability and crashes.

Would you recommend me to just wait for the dual kits to be released and 2 of those, or get the cheaper ripjaw 4 ram and wait for them to come out with a quad kit trident rgb and then just get that and use both of them together since their specs from what i can see are the same 

1 minute ago, RexAevum said:

Is it really that easy, I am asking because i have read that even the same manufacturer sometimes uses different components to make the same kind of ram and the secondary timings might be different so it can lead to instability and crashes.

Would you recommend me to just wait for the dual kits to be released and 2 of those, or get the cheaper ripjaw 4 ram and wait for them to come out with a quad kit trident rgb and then just get that and use both of them together since their specs from what i can see are the same 

TBH, it's RAM, the specs make little difference. If you want to wait for RGB, then do, if not, GEIL and Corsair both make RGB RAM

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Thank you for your answers,

Just worried since I am spending a lot of money on this build, I don't want the overall performance to be bad because I made the mistake of mixing DIMMs. 

So I'll probably just get 2 dual kits and run that in quad channel.

7 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Real men ram graham crackers into their DIMM slots.

True dat. xD

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

1 minute ago, rrubberr said:

I would bet money that your CPU isn't going to be running the RAM in quad channel.

really, a i7-6850K will not? Why?

3 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

I guess you are spending alot of money, sorry :) .

I did the Intel Retail program and got it for $200. But my system is fairly expensive. Hence my uncertainty regarding the mixing of DIMMs

3 hours ago, rrubberr said:

I've bought two memory kits before (with 4 months gap between each purchase).
They would work separately but not together. I later found out that one kit was sporting Hynix ICs while the other was sporting Samsung ICs.
Some cases of which you cannot mix memory kits and have a stable system, even at Jedec 2133MHz speeds. 

CPU i7 3770K@4.6Ghz Motherboard  Asus Maximus V Extreme Ram 4x4GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866Mhz GPU 3-Way Sli EVGA Gtx 780 //Core@1.2Ghz/Mem@7Ghz// PSU Corsair Ax1200i Storage OS 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB // 2xOCZ Vertex 4 128GB // 2xWD Red 4TB Keyboard Corsair K70 Mouse Steelseries Xai Cooling Custom Dual Loop Case Corsair 900D

1 minute ago, coalminer071 said:

I've bought two memory kits before (with 4 months gap between each purchase).
They would work separately but not together. I later found out that one kit was sporting Hynix ICs while the other was sporting Samsung ICs.
Some cases of which you cannot mix memory kits and have a stable system, even at Jedec 2133MHz speeds. 

That is exactly what im worried about. Where you running it in dual or quad channel?

X99

20 minutes ago, RexAevum said:

That is exactly what im worried about. Where you running it in dual or quad channel?

CPU i7 3770K@4.6Ghz Motherboard  Asus Maximus V Extreme Ram 4x4GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866Mhz GPU 3-Way Sli EVGA Gtx 780 //Core@1.2Ghz/Mem@7Ghz// PSU Corsair Ax1200i Storage OS 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB // 2xOCZ Vertex 4 128GB // 2xWD Red 4TB Keyboard Corsair K70 Mouse Steelseries Xai Cooling Custom Dual Loop Case Corsair 900D

40 minutes ago, coalminer071 said:

X99

Damn it