CPU difference

Hello there LTT forum,

I was approached by my mother and father a few months ago telling me they wanted new PCs for work. They needed to be prebuilt, with office and windows because of the warranty. I tried to convince them to build them myself, but i couldnt do it. 

After some time, today i found a desktop set for 480 and 430. the only difference between the 2 is a different processor. the 2 proccesors are the i3 6098P, and the i5 6402P.

Comparision link in intel's ARK: https://ark.intel.com/compare/93366,93277

I just cannot see what i should pick, and wether it is worth the 50 euro difference, for 1 PC, which makes that 100 euros. Lower cores (with Hyperthreading) and higher clocks(3.6GHz) , or more cores (4, it is an i5) with no hyperthreading, for a lower clock speed (2.8 GHz), for 100 bucks more?

Project "Transcend": i7 7700k-R9 380 4GB by MSi, Z170-HD3P

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $453 ($123 with sales)
  • Games owned: 76
  • Games not played: 40 (53%)
  • Hours on record: 667.0h

What kind of work are they doing? If they mean just tryping articles/writing then get the i3. If they're doing more professional things like photoshop, video editing, etc then get the i5. The i5 will be much better than that i3 but it just costs more. So make sure their use case encompasses the extra two cores otherwise you'll be wasting money

1 minute ago, Wolther said:

What kind of work are they doing? If they mean just tryping articles/writing then get the i3. If they're doing more professional things like photoshop, video editing, etc then get the i5. The i5 will be much better than that i3 but it just costs more. So make sure their use case encompasses the extra two cores otherwise you'll be wasting money

Their current PCs are now 10 YEARS OLD. You can clearly see that they are into futureproofing i guess. If the i5 can squeeze out 1-2 more years of life then i believe that it will be a worthwhile investment.

Lots of excel and number stuff on the 1st PC. Mother's an accountant. 2nd PC, we might be looking on something like skype, chrome with multiple tabs, and mayyyyybe autocad and some government programs. 

2 minutes ago, slanensis said:

Their current PCs are now 10 YEARS OLD. You can clearly see that they are into futureproofing i guess. If the i5 can squeeze out 1-2 more years of life then i believe that it will be a worthwhile investment.

Lots of excel and number stuff on the 1st PC. Mother's an accountant. 2nd PC, we might be looking on something like skype, chrome with multiple tabs, and mayyyyybe autocad and some government programs. 

Well in that case the i5 investment will be worth it. Double the cores will improve the lifespan on that computer by a huge amount. 

7 minutes ago, Wolther said:

Well in that case the i5 investment will be worth it. Double the cores will improve the lifespan on that computer by a huge amount. 

Though the clock speeds? As a note, there will be no discreet GPU so everything is on the CPU.

It's been proven that even though the Core i3 processors are great chips, the architectural differences, from the i3 to the i5, plus the additional physical cores, rather than the extra threads from HT, will bring a greater performance boost to the overall performance.

I.E. Get the i5. It's a VERY potent chip all on its own. Even the lower clocked i5 models are wicked even today.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

2 hours ago, Imglidinhere said:

It's been proven that even though the Core i3 processors are great chips, the architectural differences, from the i3 to the i5, plus the additional physical cores, rather than the extra threads from HT, will bring a greater performance boost to the overall performance.

I.E. Get the i5. It's a VERY potent chip all on its own. Even the lower clocked i5 models are wicked even today.

Ok , thanks for the help.