Problems Beyond 4 GHZ

I am using a Gigabyte Z77-D3H, a Intel Core i7-3770k and a Corsair H100i Cooler. I overclocked my CPU to 4GHz stable with no problem what so ever. Then, as soon as i went to 4.1 GHz, It crashed. I had to increase my Dynamic Vcore Voltage in order to go beyond 4.2 GHZ but the temperatures went to about 90 degrees celcius. When i tried to increase the normal Vcore voltage and click "Save and quit", It doesnt apply the new settings and it still runs at 1.140v. Whats wrong with this? I would love to hear your solutions

UPDATED: I am now able to over clock it to 4.2 GHz by disabling some of Intel's features like Turbo, as per your suggestions. However, my Vcore is now 1.150v and its kicking out way too much heat. Almost 100 degrees celcius. The problem is that when i turn the voltage down to 1.145v, it becomes unstable after about 2-4 hours of prime95 whereas this current config seems to be running very nicely and i am still running prime95. My motherboard can only increase/decrease in 0.005 Increments. I am not sure why this is happening as i have seen others with a H80i achieving better temperature and results than i am. I am currently using a Corsair H100i.What i need to find out is how to drop the heat/voltage while maintaining my 4.2GHz overclock.

Not familiar with that MB's BIOS, on my MSI Z77A-GD65 I have my vdroop set to "level 0", turbo boost turned off, and the "CPU Core Voltage" set to 1.260 and I am at 4.5Ghz on my 3570k with the old H100. Try disabling some of those Intel features and see if there is a plain CPU Voltage or something similar you can change.

Also, this video may help if you haven't already seen it :)

Reset your bios to safe default and then flash it.

Once done, set your memory to 1333mhz and increase your CPU Vcore to 1.25.

After that is done, go into advanced CPU settings and disable all the speedstep crap + turbo.

Set the multiplier to a desired speed (i got my 3570k at 4.5ghz with 1.25v)

Save and exit and do some tests. If its stable you should start lowering voltages notch by notch and testing each time. Good luck

Best wishes

- cheti

Well, the problem primarily lies with the voltage. it doesn't save my Vcore settings even when i click "save and quit".

try updating bios... some voltage control settings may change (at least the layout) and maybe you get rid of the problem too

MY BUILD CONSISTS OF

• CPU: Amd Athlon II x4 630 @ 3.7 GHz
  • Cooling: Artic Freezer 64 Pro
  • GPU: Gainward 9800GTX+ (voltmod)
  • PSU: LC Power 550W
  • Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
  • HDD: 640TB Western Digital
  • HDD2: 160GB Samsung
  • RAM: Mushkin DDR3-1333 MHz @ 1450 MHz

UPDATED: I am now able to over clock it to 4.2 GHz by disabling some of Intel's features like Turbo' date=' as per your suggestions. However, my Vcore is now 1.150v and its kicking out way too much heat. Almost 100 degrees celcius. The problem is that when i turn the voltage down to 1.145v, it becomes unstable after about 2-4 hours of prime95 whereas this current config seems to be running very nicely and i am still running prime95. My motherboard can only increase/decrease in 0.005 Increments. I am not sure why this is happening as i have seen others with a H80i achieving better temperature and results than i am. I am currently using a Corsair H100i.What i need to find out is how to drop the heat/voltage while maintaining my 4.2GHz overclock.[/quote']

did you spread out the thermal paste evenly? i would try reapplying the thermal paste. or maybe youre h100i is defect?

for dropping voltage i dont know what the stock V is on this chip. and the crash after 2 hours of prime is probably a heat issue.. i mean 100°C would burn my chip out.. and the temparature warning and shutdown should kick in at 90°C to 100°C

MY BUILD CONSISTS OF

Not familiar with that MB's BIOS, on my MSI Z77A-GD65 I have my vdroop set to "level 0", turbo boost turned off, and the "CPU Core Voltage" set to 1.260 and I am at 4.5Ghz on my 3570k with the old H100. Try disabling some of those Intel features and see if there is a plain CPU Voltage or something similar you can change.
Hey, i have 3570k @ 4.5ghz with 1.25 voltage but im running a hyper 212 evo cooler. anyways, im thinking about upgrading to H100i, hows the H100 on your 3570k ? what kind of temps are you getting in general ?

Thanks!

I tried 1.2v and its running cool. but i don't know why when i run it at 1.150, it heats up so much

i have no idea why. just run it at 1.2V or more that anyway aint that much voltage... just make sure it's stable at 1.2V if it's not increase it (1.22V if the temp allow you, if needed you could go to 1.25 probably) if you manage to get 1.25V with a reasonable load temp. then just raise the freq of the cpu until it's not more stable, then go back a notch(or raise V again). you could problably get 4,6ghz out of it, if not more(maybe less). (you can give it more V too if youre temps allows it to you 1.3 for example) and keep in mind that not every chip is the same some overclock better some do worse.

check this post here (maybe you'l get some more info) :

http://www.overclock.net/t/1293151/h...00-with-h80/10

good luck and fell free to post any news!

MY BUILD CONSISTS OF

Soja mentioned VDroop, which is probably your issue. VDroop dramatically undervolts your CPU under load, so your voltage will be much lower than what's set in the BIOS.

There's an option to counteract that, though; it should be called "Load-Line Calibration" or "Multi-Steps Load-Line" on your Gigabyte board and have 10 levels (I have a Gigabyte Z68 board, so it might not be exactly the same). Turn that to Level 6 or so and see whether that helps you push higher clocks.

That was my problem when overclocking my 2600K; I couldn't get past 4.2 until I changed the Load-Line setting.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Clean off and reapply the thermal compound.

Hey' date=' i have 3570k @ 4.5ghz with 1.25 voltage but im running a hyper 212 evo cooler. anyways, im thinking about upgrading to H100i, hows the H100 on your 3570k ? what kind of temps are you getting in general ? Thanks![/quote']

I'll clean the dust out of it and let you know :P I haven't checked the temps in months and they are a little warmer than when I first got it

• 3 weeks later...
Hey' date=' i have 3570k @ 4.5ghz with 1.25 voltage but im running a hyper 212 evo cooler. anyways, im thinking about upgrading to H100i, hows the H100 on your 3570k ? what kind of temps are you getting in general ? Thanks![/quote']

Have had core temp running for a few days and my max temps were between 64-67c with stock fans and being pretty dusty

Make sure to hit enter after you punch in voltage settings as they usualy wont save unless you do.

Atleast on the new efi bios' ive played with the numbers would stay when i moved on to the next setting but it wont save n actualy change the volts when u savenreset

I7s need a bit more voltage then the i5s.

I had a problem like urs once too i had accidentaly hit the epu/energy saving switch

The load line caliberations are based on speed guidelines you only want to use the higher settings when ur gettin close to 5ghz or ur just putting extra stress n heat on ur cpu n motherboard

U should be able to get a 4.2-4.5 using cpu offset remember where the decimal point is big difference between 0.25 0.025 one gives you a lil bump n the other will put u close to 1.5volts