New UnRaid nas, node 304

Heesleemer

Recently moved to a different state after graduating college (which was also in a different state then my home state). Thought I should make a nas since I had to downsize. These are the components I have or have bought

Case: Node 304

Motherboard/CPU:  AsRock Rack J3710-ITX

RAM: 1x8gb DDR3L 

Cooling: Passive (but I have an NH-U12s for future upgrade if need be)

Fans: 2x NF-B9 + NH-A15
SSD: Crucial 240 gb for caching 

HDD: WD 4tb reds

PSU: Seasonic 400w Passive power supply. 

SeaSonic 650W Gold PSU (WAY overkill for this system, originally was going to go with an i3, might replace with an SFX PSU if I downsize cases to a LianLi or Silverstone NAS case
OS: Going to try UnRaid to see what all the hype is about. avoiding Freenas as this does not have ECC support

Pictures to come when I land back in Tennessee
IMG_5415.JPGIMG_5418.JPGIMG_5420.JPGIMG_5423.JPGIMG_5424.JPGIMG_5416.JPGIMG_5425.JPG

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

3 hours ago, Heesleemer said:

-snip-

You could use those other parts for a pfsense router if you're into that and can fit the necessary components on that board.

10 minutes ago, Soonercoop21 said:

You could use those other parts for a pfsense router if you're into that and can fit the necessary components on that board.

i actually may, would like to mess with some VPN features.

I may make a second server build to mess around and pitch it to my firm for various projects. 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

• 2 weeks later...

Pictures to come, want one more HDD before I start uploading (week and a half). With that said, did some prelim tests with my WD 4tb red (1) and 2 different SSDs for Caching. my 120gb intel SSD as a cache provides a much more consistent throughput (gigabit) compared to my 240gb Crucial SSD. Granted the 240 Crucial has more write cycles but that should not affect speeds.

Thoughts? is it a controller issue?

Resist!

• 2 weeks later...

updated with pictures.

New: PCI-e 1x to 2 sata II ports, making this perfect for 6 drives.
I will slowly expand storage as needed.... surprisingly I only used 1tb
Please mind the terrible cable management... will manage better when I purchase a UPS and finish my PFsense box (j1900 cpu)

Resist!