SSD with HDD or hybrid drive

Aaronius_Leonius

SSD+HDD or Hybrid?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. SSD+HDD or Hybrid?

• Get an SSD and an HDD. You have two drives so if you need to reinstall windows, you won't loose your data.
    • Get a hybrid. It's a better value and they are almost as fast.

I want to build a cheap gaming rig. I also want to have speeds of an SSD with 1tb of storage. I could simply go with a 120gb ssd with a 1tb HDD but the Seagate hybrid 1tb drives are cheaper than going with that. I have seen comparisons and the speeds are pretty close. you can see the hybrid drive at https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ftPfrH/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st1000dx001. Should I pick a 120gb ssd with a 1tb hdd or a hybrid drive?

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 1(Lenovo S400 laptop): 

CPU: i3-3217u

SSD: 120gb Super Cache mSATA SSD

HDD: Random seagate 5400rpm 500gb HDD

RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3-SODIMM

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

CPU: i5-4260u

HDD: 5400rpm 500gb

RAM: 4gb DDR3 (soldered on :( )

if you want reliability and speed and according to my personal experience ssd and an hdd always .

In your situation i would wait a couple more weeks and save 

I try to do  raid 10 if my data if my data is critical !

Just get a SSD and a normal HDD. They are not close in performance. The NAND memory in the SSHD serves for caching and you have no control over it. Which even makes the SSHD less reliable than a normal hard drive, just because when the memory dies from the continuous writing, the whole drive is gone.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

Just now, Pandalf said:

Just get SSD and a normal HDD. They are not close in performance. The NAND memory in the SSHD serves for caching and you have no control over it. Which even makes the SSHD less reliable than a normal hard drive, just because when the memory dies from the continuous writing, the whole drive is gone.

Oh wow, That sounds bad. guess spending extra is worth it

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Surely you don't need everything on an SSD?

Probably only the OS and games will have a noticeable benefit from being on an SSD.

Other stuff that take up majority of the space (work and media files) can be relegated to a HDD because they don't need the speed.

So depending on your needs, maybe a 120 or 250GB SSD with 500GB-1TB HDD. That will offer the best bang for buck with little to no downside.

I just wanted the OS visual studio and a few other programs on my SSD. That's it. I would have about 50gb available on it after that. Visual studio is to blame. 50gb is plenty though. 120gb?

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

49 minutes ago, AA-RonRosen said:

I want to build a cheap gaming rig. I also want to have speeds of an SSD with 1tb of storage. I could simply go with a 120gb ssd with a 1tb HDD but the Seagate hybrid 1tb drives are cheaper than going with that. I have seen comparisons and the speeds are pretty close. you can see the hybrid drive at https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ftPfrH/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st1000dx001. Should I pick a 120gb ssd with a 1tb hdd or a hybrid drive?

You will find that the 120Gb SSD is too small, so hold out for something equivalent to a 240Gb or larger. Put the operating system and any programs that are required for the user for example Mircosoft Office on the SSD, using it as the main drive (C:).

LTT forums.jpg

As for the type of drive to use for onboard storage, I currently use an SSHD for all my steam games and local backups. In my setup the cache or flash memory (the hybrid part) is not written to in the same way as is a USB stick. But if you were using this as your only drive the cache would be for the files most loaded like the operating system boot loader etc. Using the hybrid drive as a storage device the transfer speeds increase as files get "prefetched" from the spinning platter (so your transfer speed will be limited closer to the controller speed) unlike the tradition drive which will transfer as fast as the read head can pull the specific file(s).

Hope this helps

Edited by SydneySideSteveSomewheres
Added image file to post

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

19 minutes ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

You will find that the 120Gb SSD is too small, so hold out for something equivalent to a 240Gb or larger. Put the operating system and any programs that are required for the user for example Microsoft Office on the SSD, using it as the main drive (C:).

Thanks. Getting the most inexpensive 240gb I can get. If I get enough soon, I might be able to get a good $64 one with a $10 rebate. I would need to get that before my PSU so I didn't miss the rebate but it would likely be worth it. I am going to have microsoft office on there too. Forgot about that.

37 minutes ago, Cuddlez said:

Well yeah. What you put on that drive is personal stuff :) 

WTF

36 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Yeh sure

WTF

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):