The Odin Project

DKL

Curious what is everyone's thoughts on The Odin Project(Odin)?

http://www.theodinproject.com/

It is a free series of courses around learning Web Development from 0 to getting a job.

It uses Ruby on Rails(RoR) rather than PHP to teach people faster, although from what I understand based on my own research, RoR has far less adoption. Most jobs will prefer PHP. So, that leaves another question.

Should someone learn PHP instead or use Odin to learn other skills and then start learning PHP after the course while applying to jobs, interviewing, etc. ?

Or should someone do something else entirely?

Let me know down below. I'm currently in the start of Odin.

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

employers dont care about courses, qualifications, or anything else you put on your CV; they want to see a commercial portfolio

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

7 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

employers dont care about courses, qualifications, or anything else you put on your CV; they want to see a commercial portfolio

Are you...serious? This couldn't be further from the truth, at least in my experience.

58 minutes ago, Pinguinsan said:

Are you...serious? This couldn't be further from the truth, at least in my experience.

Then you have rather limited experience in that case. That said I think that the statement is a little bit exaggerated; experience will nearly always beat qualifications. However if one has less experience then qualifications will be more important since they are exactly next in terms of importance.

One can have as many pieces of paper as they like that state that they can do a thing... It's the examples of it being done, the demonstrable ability to do it and how it's done that really matters.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Meh, "job experience on this piece of paper" means very little to me as well. It's relatively easy to fake shit like that, at least in the entry level. Either way, a commercial portfolio and other certificates and qualifications are all just pieces of paper, and it matters more to me what a person is actually capable of, which can be explored better in a good interview.

I like how not one of your replies address the actual questions I posed :|

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

5 hours ago, Pinguinsan said:

Yes a portfolio of commercial work beats everything. Web development is not software engineering. 

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_