ASUS X79 Sabertooth and Samsung 960 EVO NVMe

kaber

Hey forum.

have any of you had any experience with X79 chipset and new NVMe SSD drives? I want windows to boot from it but Bios does not recognize the drive. In W10 the drive works fine after I boot up from my old SSD. I installed latest BIOS which was Beta, but no cigar. Still did not recognize. my current mb and cpu are fine, so I am not planning on upgrading these, but still I would like to boot from that NVMe drive. After some googleing I found some Bios modding worked, but does any of you have any experience or tips, before I start messing around and probably bricking my motherboard?

hmm. so I tryed to install W10 to that NVMe SSD. It installed fine, but after reboot computer did not recognize the drive. When I loaded windows from my old SSD I could see the contents of that new 960 evo and it seemed like a brand new windows 10 install... flashdrive was using UEFI. So i am puzzled. Why did it install and why it does not boot?

14 hours ago, kaber said:

hmm. so I tryed to install W10 to that NVMe SSD. It installed fine, but after reboot computer did not recognize the drive. When I loaded windows from my old SSD I could see the contents of that new 960 evo and it seemed like a brand new windows 10 install... flashdrive was using UEFI. So i am puzzled. Why did it install and why it does not boot?

nearly all x79 boards cant boot from nvme devices . unless your board has a bios version that says added support for nvme drives , x99 or z170 is needed .

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS