Attention: IT Technicians/Engineers/Wizards

Hi,

What remote connection tools and monitoring tools do you guys use?

At work we use LogMeIn Rescue (www.logmein123.com) to connect to our customer's computers and then we use LogMeIn Central (www.secure.logmein.com/home/en/central) to log into our customers' servers along with 'Take Control', which relies on Teamviewer, which is a feature of our server and PC management and monitoring tool called MAX Remote Management (www.maxfocus.com/remote-management) which helps us see the status of our customers servers and PC's including if backups fail, they're offline and if they're receiving failed logins and even if the hard drive is low on space or failing.

I'm just interested to hear what other techies use :)

- Jack

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]

We use LogMeIn where I work, but I'm in development so the only time it gets used is when IT needs to fix my phone, which is about once a month :^)

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

We use LogMeIn where I work, but I'm in development so the only time it gets used is when IT needs to fix my phone, which is about once a month :^)

haha, how's development? I want to try it out? I've dabbled into JS? Any recommendations?

2 minutes ago, JackHubbleday said:

haha, how's development? I want to try it out? I've dabbled into JS? Any recommendations?

The standard HTML/CSS of course. After that I highly recommend PHP.

I use team viewer and occasionally remote desktop connection for remote access ;)

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

Just now, Tristanus said:

The standard HTML/CSS of course. After that I highly recommend PHP.

I'm proficient in HTML & CSS and I've again dabbled into PHP

Just now, JackHubbleday said:

I'm only working with our ERP system, which is Epicor. For our customizations we use any wizard that we can to save time, but a lot of the time I will have to manually do something in a C# script for the form we're customizing. We try to avoid the script as best we can because it's very time consuming and can create bugs with the form. Like right now in our test environment I'm trying to make a tab in a form automatically fill out when you select an order in a different tab since that functionality isn't native for some reason.

Just now, oskarha said:

I use team viewer and occasionally remote desktop connection for remote access ;)

RDP is unreliable IMO & teamviewer is kinda costly sometimes and I don't think it's very advanced sorry :P 

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

I'm only working with our ERP system, which is Epicor. For our customizations we use any wizard that we can to save time, but a lot of the time I will have to manually do something in a C# script for the form we're customizing. We try to avoid the script as best we can because it's very time consuming and can create bugs with the form. Like right now in our test environment I'm trying to make a tab in a form automatically fill out when you select an order in a different tab since that functionality isn't native for some reason.

Ah, well good luck :)

1 minute ago, JackHubbleday said:

I'm proficient in HTML & CSS and I've again dabbled into PHP

Haha I love the word "dabbled". Now you know some JS, try JS libaries. jQuery!!!, AngularJS etc.

RDP is unreliable IMO & teamviewer is kinda costly sometimes and I don't think it's very advanced sorry :P 

I very much agree that RDP is unreliable, it seems to stop folding on my server when i disconnect :P

I only use teamviewer for personal use (remoting into my server) so the free licence works great :)

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

Just now, Tristanus said:

Haha I love the word "dabbled". Now you know some JS, try JS libaries. jQuery!!!, AngularJS etc.

Thanks, it's a knew one xD Cheers for that!

7 minutes ago, JackHubbleday said:

Hi,

What remote connection tools and monitoring tools do you guys use?

At work we use LogMeIn Rescue (www.logmein123.com) to connect to our customer's computers and then we use LogMeIn Central (www.secure.logmein.com/home/en/central) to log into our customers' servers along with 'Take Control', which relies on Teamviewer, which is a feature of our server and PC management and monitoring tool called MAX Remote Management (www.maxfocus.com/remote-management) which helps us see the status of our customers servers and PC's including if backups fail, they're offline and if they're receiving failed logins and even if the hard drive is low on space or failing.

I'm just interested to hear what other techies use :)

- Jack

Team Viewer

Just now, oskarha said:

I very much agree that RDP is unreliable it seems to stop folding on my server when i disconnect :P

I only use teamviewer for personal use (remoting into my server) so the free licence works great :)

Hmm true, are you like a support technician or is this for literally connecting to your own PC's and not like external customers - and many of them?

Just now, Factory OC said:

Team Viewer

I just think it lacks features for if you have many customers like us

2 minutes ago, oskarha said:

I very much agree that RDP is unreliable, it seems to stop folding on my server when i disconnect :P

RDP logs out of the user account and logs back in at the remote computer.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Hmm true, are you like a support technician or is this for literally connecting to your own PC's and not like external customers - and many of them?

The second one, I use team viewer to remote into my server and its Windows 7 VM.

Main Rig:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, oskarha said:

The second one, I use team viewer to remote into my server and its Windows 7 VM.

Fair enough then :)

1 minute ago, JackHubbleday said:

Ah, well good luck :)

I forgot to make a recommendation for resources.

What got me started was CodeCademy since they basically hold your hand while you grasp how programming works. I moved on to SoloLearn and then courses on Microsoft Virtual Academy. I don't have any certifications personally but I'm working toward being certified in C#.

Just now, jj9987 said:

RDP logs out of the user account and logs back in at the remote computer.

I think that RDP is being funny with the nvidia drivers, as this has only happened on my new server which runs 3 quadros.

My old server that ran on an amd apu worked fine with RDP and folding.

Main Rig:

Spoiler

I just think it lacks features for if you have many customers like us

Yes, I'm not really full time. I do this occasionly. I kind of want to try LogMeIn, but I never got to it really.

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I forgot to make a recommendation for resources.

What got me started was CodeCademy since they basically hold your hand while you grasp how programming works. I moved on to SoloLearn and then courses on Microsoft Virtual Academy. I don't have any certifications personally but I'm working toward being certified in C#.

Thanks for that and good luck! I'm MS certified in networking lol so HMU if you need networking help lol

1 minute ago, Factory OC said:

Yes, I'm not really full time. I do this occasionly. I kind of want to try LogMeIn, but I never got to it really.

If you're just trying it, log mein central and log me in rescue are a bit pricey :(

4 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

CodeCademy really does hold your hand, but it really helped me understand JS and Java beter (or actually, started understanding JS and Java).

Just now, Factory OC said:

CodeCademy really does hold your hand, but it really helped me understand JS and Java beter (or actually, started understand JS and Java).

Right. I was more so giving it a compliment for doing that, because I took a programming course in college before I did this as a career and that course made me not want to be a programmer. I happen to come across CodeCademy one day and here I am, lol.

If you're just trying it, log mein central and log me in rescue are a bit pricey :(

Hmmm, guess I'm going to keep using Team Viewer.