Mysterious numbers in bottlenecked network.

Flightergear

Hi.

I pay for a 24/2 connection. I recently upgraded from a 5/1 connection. When I upgraded, the speed hit some bottleneck. I was stuck at 16.66/1.03. Then, when I upgraded my odl non-wifi router, the speed mysteriously increased to exactly 17.66/1.43. I have always been pretty sure that the bottleneck is caused by the RJ-11 phone cable that is running from my phone outlet to my router. The mysterious thing about this is, that even tough the cable only has two wires twisted up inside of it, it has greater bandwith than CAT-3 cable, which only is rated for 10Mbit/s. How can a cable that is older, and less capable than CAT-3 cable produce greater bandwith? I live in a very old house, and we have made no upgrades to the communication cabling to the house, and the cable is the same as when it was built in 1967. How is it possible for me to achieve such high rates of networking capacity? How much would it cost to get to 24/2?

Thanks for reading.

Networks work in mysterious ways :)

What the wire is rated for does not really influence its speed (at least up to a gigabit), its just a piece of copper like every wire.

What you have is an ADSL connection (correct me if wrong) and it has perfected the speed over a pair of wires.

Though you should complain to your ISP if you are paying for 24/2 and only getting 17/1.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

Networks work in mysterious ways :)

What the wire is rated for does not really influence its speed (at least up to a gigabit), its just a piece of copper like every wire.

What you have is an ADSL connection (correct me if wrong) and it has perfected the speed over a pair of wires.

Though you should complain to your ISP if you are paying for 24/2 and only getting 17/1.

Ok, thanks. I'll call them. :)