Smart Watch Under $50?

BiscuitMassacre

Title ^

Wander if it is possible to get a smart watch (at least used) for under $50 USD. 

I just thought it'd be cool, to have one. I don't want one of those shady chinese watches. I don't need any fancy features either like health tracker or being able to text back from my watch.

The only thing I want:

Nice design.

Decent Screen.

Be able to get texts and messages to appear on my watch.

Not crap software.

Decent battery life + charging.

Be able to wash my hands without taking it off.

Is this possible?

I see things like the ZenWatch, but I wouldn't even use half of the features.

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

no idea how good any of these are but if you want to experiment with cheap smartwatches this would be where i would research cheap solutions. i can judge a pcb etc and waterproof by looking at it but if you can´t it might be a good idea to experiment with how waterproof and safe everything is :P

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20161212080924&SearchText=smart+watch

You could, technically, get a used Pebble time for under $50, or you can get a refurbished original pebble (the red colour was always my favourite) for like $20.

It would have to come with the huge disclaimer that they are no longer supported and there's no guarantee about pretty much anything.

That said, I've been rocking pebble since the first kick starter, and now have a Pebble Time which still functions perfectly (so far). I've had Sony Smartwatches, and played around with my friends' Moto. Personally, I find the Pebble is (was?) the perfect balance of useful, battery life and somewhat decent looks (if you're okay with some nerd clearly showing).

With shipping, you can find the pebble time on Amazon for literally exactly $50.

2 minutes ago, AthrunZ said:

You could, technically, get a used Pebble time for under $50, or you can get a refurbished original pebble (the red colour was always my favourite) for like $20.

It would have to come with the huge disclaimer that they are no longer supported and there's no guarantee about pretty much anything.

That said, I've been rocking pebble since the first kick starter, and now have a Pebble Time which still functions perfectly (so far). I've had Sony Smartwatches, and played around with my friends' Moto. Personally, I find the Pebble is (was?) the perfect balance of useful, battery life and somewhat decent looks (if you're okay with some nerd clearly showing).

With shipping, you can find the pebble time on Amazon for literally exactly $50.

But it doesn't work anymore?

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

Just now, BiscuitMassacre said:

But it doesn't work anymore?

It still works - at least for now. I'm wearing mine right now, and haven't lost any functionaliy.

That's why I said it comes with that big disclaimer of "no idea when it wont work anymore". Because I don't know, but for now, I totally plan on using mine until the end of it's usable life.

7 minutes ago, tlink said:

no idea how good any of these are but if you want to experiment with cheap smartwatches this would be where i would research cheap solutions

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20161212080924&SearchText=smart+watch

Looks good, but shady as heck.

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

1 minute ago, AthrunZ said:

It still works - at least for now. I'm wearing mine right now, and haven't lost any functionaliy.

That's why I said it comes with that big disclaimer of "no idea when it wont work anymore". Because I don't know, but for now, I totally plan on using mine until the end of it's usable life.

Why wouldn't work forever? Newer unsupported versions of Android?

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

6 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

Why wouldn't work forever? Newer unsupported versions of Android?

You can check out the pebble blog to read it from them.

Critically, they say:

• Pebble is no longer promoting, manufacturing, or selling any devices.
  • Pebble devices will continue to work as normal. No immediate changes to the Pebble user experience will happen at this time.
  • Pebble functionality or service quality may be reduced in the future

1 hour ago, AthrunZ said:

You can check out the pebble blog to read it from them.

Critically, they say:

How much would pay for that watch? How long does it take to charge? How are the colors? Is it easy to see outside? How is the battery life? Is it easy to scratch? Does it still work if wet? The reviews say it was DOA or was easily broken? Is it comfortable? Is it responsive? Does it work with modern Play Store clock faces?

I don't expect you to answer all of those, but it would help. Thanks

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

41 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

How much would pay for that watch? How long does it take to charge? How are the colors? Is it easy to see outside? How is the battery life? Is it easy to scratch? Does it still work if wet? The reviews say it was DOA or was easily broken? Is it comfortable? Is it responsive? Does it work with modern Play Store clock faces?

I don't expect you to answer all of those, but it would help. Thanks

How much would pay for that watch?

No more than $30 or $40 used for the pebble time.

How long does it take to charge?

I've never charged mine more than 20 minutes to become full

How are the colors?

It's an e-ink display, so don't expect anything fancy. But it makes it ultra-visible in the sun, and gives me around 6 days of battery (3 days under heavy use)

Is it easy to see outside?

How is the battery life?

See above for both of these.

Is it easy to scratch?

Yeah. But you can get some sweet (very cheap) DBrand skins and cheap screen protectors.

Does it still work if wet?

Yes. I've gone swimming with mine. Just DO NOT use buttons under water.

The reviews say it was DOA or was easily broken? 

I've had 3, and never had any of them come DOA. My first one broke when I used the buttons under water, but it does say in the user manual not to do that, so it was my fault.

Is it comfortable?

I think so. But everyone has different preferences.

Is it responsive?

It's pretty responsive - I mean, it's e-ink, so don't expect it to be like a flagship phone with a super nice LCD.

Does it work with modern Play Store clock faces?

No. Look at the review videos, it uses it's own app store. Given it's not supported by Pebble anymore, this is where the major warning comes in - I have no idea how this is going to work in the future.

5 minutes ago, AthrunZ said:

How much would pay for that watch?

How long does it take to charge?

I've never charged mine more than 20 minutes to become full

How are the colors?

It's an e-ink display, so don't expect anything fancy. But it makes it ultra-visible in the sun, and gives me around 6 days of battery (3 days under heavy use)

Is it easy to see outside?

How is the battery life?

See above for both of these.

Is it easy to scratch?

Yeah. But you can get some sweet (very cheap) DBrand skins and cheap screen protectors.

Does it still work if wet?

Yes. I've gone swimming with mine. Just DO NOT use buttons under water.

The reviews say it was DOA or was easily broken? 

I've had 3, and never had any of them come DOA. My first one broke when I used the buttons under water, but it does say in the user manual not to do that, so it was my fault.

Is it comfortable?

I think so. But everyone has different preferences.

Is it responsive?

It's pretty responsive - I mean, it's e-ink, so don't expect it to be like a flagship phone with a super nice LCD.

Does it work with modern Play Store clock faces?

No. Look at the review videos, it uses it's own app store. Given it's not supported by Pebble anymore, this is where the major warning comes in - I have no idea how this is going to work in the future.

Thanks so much for that! Just out of curiosity is that for the OG pebble or pebble time? Is it hard to press the buttons underwater? It seems like you could just bump it and break your watch lol

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

31 minutes ago, AthrunZ said:

Where at, if you don't mind me asking?

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

36 minutes ago, AthrunZ said:

I found a few around $44 on Amazon if you click the "used and new".

But remember, do your research - maybe watch Linus' video on the pebble time on the pros and cons from last year, and consider your needs in specific.

Well if I am going to buying from Amazon, I am going to want to be using Fulfilled by Amazon, so currently the cheapest one is $55, so I may lean toward the OG pebble. 

Did they fix the problems Linus Spoke of? Such as the hard to flick backlight, Long animations, and the clock disappearing from certain apps? Thanks again.

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

1 hour ago, AthrunZ said:

I found a few around $44 on Amazon if you click the "used and new".

But remember, do your research - maybe watch Linus' video on the pebble time on the pros and cons from last year, and consider your needs in specific.

Just saw the Pebble Steel. It isn't to much more expensive. Looks so much better. Thinking about getting it over the Time, only downside for is that it isn't colored, but that shouldn't make much difference.

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

i bought the original zen watch for about NZD$100 when the second edition came out. Its a good watch but android and java is overkill for something that just pushes notifications to my wrist. I think everything in the OP describes a refurbished pebble

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_